Gabapentin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

Went to see new neurosurgeon on Monday and she has prescibed Gabapentin to add to the mix of my daily cocktail of drugs. Having looked it up though, it seems to have some pretty worrying side effects. For me, as I work full time, I am concerned about being drowsy, sleepy and generally spaced out at work. Apparently it is all magnified if you are also on opiate based painkillers too. I am also concerned that I may pile on the weight!!

Can I ask what adverse reactions others have had to this? Also it says on the box that stopping the meds can cause seizures, but is this only in people that have eplilepsy (the main reason the drug is prescribed) or can it cause that in people that have never had a history of epilepsy???

By the way, my meds had not changed since May 2007. Nobody has had the slightest interest in monitoring me, either in terms of if they are still suitable, dosage levels, if I am now addicted, if they are working well or even if they are harming my body. Some of the boxes state that you should have regular blood tests but I have never been offered any. Considering I have had two lumbar operations since last May and numerous problems since, it seems quite odd that this has been allowed to go on for so long with not one of the numerous doctors/surgeons giving a damn. I just order the meds from my GP surgery online and then pick up the prescription. That gives a review date, usually 6 monthly intervals, but nobody actually reviews me, they just put a new review date down on the records.

Apart from back pain my main problem these days is the burning/numbness the whole length of my leg and my locked up toes. Apparently the Gabapentin will help with this. But the worse of the problem is at night, hence the fact that I can function reasonably well during the day. But now if these new tablets are going to knock me out and render me incapable during the day, then I'm tempted just not to bother.

All in all the meeting with the new neurosurgeon went quite well. I will be having another MRI shortly (my 6th in 16 months) and hopefully I'll know more then about what is going to happen going forward. The bad news is that she thinks that a lot of the problems are from the internal scarring from the two operations and nothing can be done about that. Hey, ho, I guess I'll find out in time.

How did you get on on Monday, Jaimie. Hopefully they will now line you up for some proper care!!!

Best wishes

TFU

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Gabapentin for 3 months and it does help my leg pain although I still suffer pain on a daily basis. Side effects only happened for a few days when I just felt a bit odd, a little wobbly/woozy but not enough to stop me working. I now don't notice any adverse effects at all.

I hope that helps you make your decision.

Jo

• Posted

Hi Truly,

Just a quick note re Gabapentin. If you remember Jude was prescribed this and from what I remember it helped. It may be worth sending her a PM for more details..............how many times a day do you need to take them? You may be able to juggle the timings of the doses so they don't affect you too much in the day or maybe there is a slow release once a day tablet you could take in the evening? With regards seizures on discontinuation, it may be worth speaking to someone at NHS Direct or the local chemist as this may be related to those prescribed them for epilepsy management. Anyway, if you do decide to take them, I hope they will be more of a help than a hindrence. If they are helpful maybe you would be able to reduce or discontinue some of the other meds with your doctors guidance.....Good Luck Truly :blackcat: :hug:

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

hi have been taking gabapentin 400mg x8 daily for the last 9 months i felt that they wasnt doing anything for me so stopped taking them a month ago with no side effects at all.... seeing as i am unable to take ANY painkillers except ibuprofen as i am so sick on others then i would say these are very weak tablets and mine we're full strength... give them a go as everyone is different though! :P
  • Posted

I'm on 300mg Gabapentin, taking 3 a day.  I'm also on 30mg cocodamol/500mg paracetomol, 4 times a day.  I'm quite resistant to side effects, can't really report any drowsiness although this might be more telling when I return to work.

I'm just curious, does the pain ever go away?  It's definitely eased, but then it will occasionally dig back in stronger, such as today.  I have to return to work tomorrow and am anticipating a discussion yet again over my sickness record.  I'm just wondering what expectations I should have over the possibility of long-term discomfort or further absences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.