Gabapentin 2100mg daily.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been on and off this for the last 2 years for nerve pain caused by 2 bulging discs.

Dose was upped to 2100mg in December. Have been told I can increase it further. Initially thought I was coping with it but I feel that I'm losing interest in everything. My family tell me I'm short tempered and often very emotional.

This drug does work on keeping the nerve pain at bay but I wonder at what cost?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try stay away from it. When i take it my memory is appalling and inturn my temper follows. I have it for RLS and nothing else works like one single 900mg dose when I feel the RLS COME on.

• Posted

Spencer, doctors are supposed to prescribe it fir 3 to 4 times a day due to he short half life. Most people feel the negative side effects far out weigh any benefits. It's your choice.

Debbie, if it doesn't work at that dose, why does the doctor believe more will help? It's mire likely the only that will change is you'll get more and worsening side effects. It is a seizure drug which reacts with the brain causing disruptions to the neurons and synapses. It is not a pain med in the usual sense. It's taken me 3 years to safely get off it while it had a serious negative on every aspect of my life. IF you want to stay on this drug or increase please read and research it.. The info is there, but doctors don't read the warnings or the side effects. It's up to us to make informed decisions.

It's ruined many lives.

• Posted

This drug is cruel in that it does work miracles for nerve pain, but will leave you scarred for life, I still have Gabapentin nightmares 2 years after I was advised to taper off quickly and its messed lots of us up.

Welcome to the club 😦

• Posted

FYI, it doesn't work for everyone. I was on it got one of the three things it was approved for.

• Posted

Sorry for the typo, I was on my iPad and it doesn't work well with this website, I'm on my PC now. Some people do get some relief, but for many it's not worth it. The FDA only approved gab for 3 things, and I had one of those things. All it did was make me so foggy, confused and sedated that I couldn't be as aware of the pain. It didn't STOP the pain like taking aspirin or Advil, it just screwed me up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.