Gabapentin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the sciatica forum (but have been on here for heart health reasons) as I have been suffereing quite badly for the last 3 months, to the point of debilitation some days. I'm sure many of you have it worse, but I'd like to ask a simple question if I may.

I finally got a GP to take some notice of the pain levels and I'm now on gabapentin and zapain while I await a referral.

I was so glad to be given *something* I didn't really bother asking too much. I understand the zapain is a straight up pain killer but I'm a little unsure - even after reading up - what to expect of the gabapentin?

is it also a pain killer? I'm on 900mg / day now and although I have pain constantly, I can't be sure which drug is more (or less) effective, if at all?

many thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi TK, Gabapentin or Pregabalin is usually prescribed for nerve pain but your GP is starting you on a very high dose. I remember when I started taking them they made me quite dizzy to begin with. I have looked up the dosage instructions as I'm certain mine commenced at 100mg 3 times daily then I increased my night time one to 200mg then my midday tablet and finally my morning tablet and worked my way up eventually to 1800mg daily. Please question this before taking them. They should however help with your sciatica. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi there

I was built up to it - intially 1 tablet a day (300mg) then 2 (600mg) and now 3 (900mg). I haven't felt any side effects except having an exceptionally dry mouth. Problem is, I also simply cannot discern if it's having any effect due to the amount of pain Im still in ;/

• Posted

Just to add, I am seeing my GP again on the 9/2 so will bring it up then as well, of course smile

Kevin.

• Posted

Hi ive just been put on go Gabapentin, it is for nerve pain😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.