Gabapentin

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am just coming off of Amitriptyline 50mg which I have been taking for 5 years nightly for hormonal migraine. I have a prescription for 300mg of Gabapentin and wondered what experience others have had with Gabapentin. Did it help?  Have you put on weight with it? Does it make you fatigued or drowsy? would love to hear your experiences.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

HI Loraine,

I used to use Gabapentin, but found it didnt help in my case.  It didnt make me drowsy or gain weight.

I eventually had to take Pregabalin, a similar drug,which for me was more effective. It did however make me drowsy to begin with.

• Posted

It is Pregablin I take 400mg but it does have effect on weight gain. Even eating very little wont help. For this reason I'm going to ask to be weaned of it asap and perhaps take Duloxetine in its place as ive read it's good for Neurolgia which I also suffer from along with bipolar.
  • Posted

The only experience I have had has been of benefit but I know others who cannot tolerate it.
  • Posted

I have been on 1800mg of Gabapentin for a few months now and I am slowly being weaned off as they didnt help as well as my dr had hoped.

They worked for me to a certain degree, however because I suffer with Chronic Daily Headaches also these were creating further migraines.

They will make you really tired and can make you feel quite spaced out until you have a tolerance for it.

I haven't put any weight on following this medication, although my mood swings have been out of this world since weaning off the medication!

• Posted

Hi lorraine. I have peripheral neuropathy and major depression and anxiety. Gabapentin 800mg 4x a day. If needed. I usually have 1in the morning and rarely 1 more if alot of axiety hits (very fast acting to calm me). It is a wonderful medication for both. When you first start your beginning , 3-4 days will feel like you've been drinking. Tolerance is quick and the real benefits set in. No weight gain, if anything you might loose some. I did a little. Good luck, l am so happy to have mine.
  • Posted

I've been on it for quite some time now and yes it's a weight gainer..I want off it for that reason for no matter how little you eat the weight creeps up I'm fed up with that as I suffer from prolapsed discs in my lower spine and can't afford any weight gain as the more weight the more pain I'm in.
    • Posted

Sorry it's Pregablin I take.. I was on Gabapentin but had to come off it as was put on Lithium and they don't mix.
  • Posted

ive tried gabapentin it did nothing for my head pain, but it gave me really bad side effects, sickkness, dizzy spells, blackouts and much more. i hope it works for you. 
    • Posted

Vicky I've been on both these and keep getting them mixed up. I need off the Pregablin because of the weight gain that should be fun. I've my appointment next week with my psychiatrist I'm just hoping she'll listen to me when I tell her I need off it and something else that doesn't cause weight gain for the anxiety. Would love to give it a go not replacing it to see if the anxiety has gone as how do we know it is if we're medicated all the time for it. I never before suffered with anxiety only this year so maybe that's not even what it is.
  • Posted

Hi, Lorraine. You mentioned you have hormonal migraine. Have you considered balancing your hormones? It is the fluctuation (drops and surges) that causes the migraines. I started taking prometrium (bioidentical progesterone) and that has helped me a lot. It also helps with the anxiety and other symptoms that come around that time of the month. Wish I had started on it years ago instead of messing around with herbs and creams. Hope this helps.

Best,

​Patricia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.