Gabapentin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone not been on here for a while, I have had osteoarthritis for the last two years have it in most joints quite bad in hands managed on just two codydramol a day but recently started going through the menopause and suffering from bad night sweats, saw my gp yesterday and has put me on Gabapentin for pain and night sweats they are 300mg took one last night and felt completely out of it and today feel really tired and irritable is anyone else on this drug that could tell me if drug is any good and if side effects settle down have to build up to  two a day but don't feel I would be able function normally during the day any advice would be welcome

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue i also have OA of all joints and have night sweats,i take 300 micrograms of clonidine hydrochloride a day and have been absolutely fine,you might like to try these instead.
  • Posted

I have OA in my finger joints, if you have the same are you aware that finger joint replacement surgery is available. I have had two done now and its wonderful as no pain.
    • Posted

Yes am aware of surgery but reading other replays seem that if you are to young they won't do it I'm 49
    • Posted

Don't believe everything you read, get it from the horses mouth i.e. the consultant   I know people in their 40's who have had joint replacements  also if you leave it too long some joint replacements cannot be done
    • Posted

Hi wknight don't have a consultant but seeing Gp again in a few weeks so going to ask to be referred right index finger quite bad at moment.
  • Posted

Hello Sue,

I am on Gaberpentin, i am prescribed 3 x 3000mg a day but usually take 2 x 3000mg a day. I have Osteoarthritis in my knees and spine. I have had my left knee replaced twice now and i am 58. The Gaberpentin is the only drug that helps with the nerve painn i get. Some people don't have the right recepters for this drug. I would give it a couple of weeks as the side effects should settle down. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth for your reply will stick with drug and see how I get on just one question does it completely take away the pain.
    • Posted

Hello Sue,

I have no nerve pain now with the Gaberpentin, if i stop or reduce the dosage it comes back, so it works on this type of pain. All i can say is give it a couple of weeks try, if no joy go back to the GP as there are lots of drugs now available to try.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I was on Gabapentin for 6 months and once I had built up the dose it did help with the nerve pain but it did make me very spaced out and I know and my family told me that I wasnt myself anymore.  I found it very hard to cope with my job as it does need me to be on the ball with things and I felt I was not in control so after seeing my consultant and the fact that he has now offered me spinal fusion surgery, my GP agreed that I could come off of them.  Although the pain is back I can do my job and earn my money to survive which is important too.  Its weighing up what is best for you as an individual.

• Posted

Thanks Tracey for your reply I to have to work and be on the ball and that is what is worrying me with this drug my family have also noticed I'm quite not myself makes you wonder if there is any drug that dos'ent make you space out but giving you relief from your pain.
  • Posted

hi sue ive been on co-dydramol for 5 years due to athtritis in both knees and 1 finger on each hand 

i think you have done well to only take 2 aday i take 8, sometimes more if the pain in my knees is really bad or i use voltarol what strength co-dydramol did you take in comparrison with the strength of gabapentin. sorry i cant answer your question but i hope things settle down for you coz unless you have the pain you dont know what its like. can i just ask if you claim P I P for your arthritis as ive just put in a claim for it and severe depression as i was refused dla 5 years ago. best wishes jayne. :-) xx          l

• Posted

I couldn't take it had weird dreams and mind felt very cloudy when I woke up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.