Gabapentin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was prescribed Gabapentin on 8/14/17 for PHN from the shingles. On 9/6/17 I was hospitalized from stroke like symptoms. After 2 ct scans, mri showed no stroke, I started having seizure like episodes. They gave me gabapentin and in less than a hour I started having a seizure like episodes where I would loose concentration, weak on my left side and severe headaches. They started giving me seizure meds through my IF and the seizure like episodes became more frequent and longer. My husband made them stop all the gabapentin and seizure medicine and the episodes seem to subside. I came home from the hospital on Sept 10 but since home, I continue to have severe headaches weakness in my left side of body and since Sept 11 have developed what I call Tics. I can't seem to do anything but lay around for the headaches to ease off. I'm going to MUSC in Charleston SC to see a neurologist. Can't seem to get any answers other than allergic reaction to gabapentin. Help if anyone knows anything.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have no answers for you honey but I feel so badly for you. I can't even imagine what you must be going through. I'm glad to hear that you're going to see a neurologist and I hope that he or she can get down to the nuts and bolts of this thing that you have. I may be wrong but if memory serves me I thought Gabapentin was a seizure medication. I know it's also used for certain types of pain such as shingles or sciatica. Did they perhaps think that maybe you had a TIA also known as a mini-stroke? Because when I had a mini-stroke they said they didn't see it on the CT. After the CT they gave me an MRI where they put my head in a box. I don't remember what he said about the MRI but I don't know if a TIA shows up or not on film. Did they do your MRI with your head in the box like mine? I know it's just to keep your head steady and still while they do the Imaging but it's a pretty frightening thing to have to go through. Good luck on your Charleston trip.

• Posted

I did have a CT Scan, and a MRI, and they said they didn't see where I had a TIA. I know gabapentin is for seizures, and all soiets of things, but it was just strange eveytime they gave it to me, I would have one oif those seizure like episodes after taken it, then when they gave me some kind of 8 hour seizure protocol through my IV, the seizure like episodes became more frequent, like every 30 minutes, so my husband made them stop it all. My family doctor said he didn't think I had a TIA either, he thinkjs it was just an allergic reaction to the gabapentin and seizure medicine they were giviing me intravenously. I'm just puzzled now because I'm still having headaches, and I h ave a awful, what I call a Tic going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.