Gabapentin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if this nightmare will ever end!! My life has been hell from this med! I'm beginning to think I need medical intervention before I get nuttier!! I'm really having a super hard time!! Only been on it for 3 months! Help at first, but had to many side effects!!!!  Does this nightmare ever end?????

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have been on it for two years if I try to come off it the pain is horrible. I also have had weight gain since I started taking it.
    • Posted

Teri,

This has been a nightmare!!! Do you have any problems?

• Posted

My pain is controlled with pain meds and one GAB at night. I have started walking one mile per day, and that has helped me cope with the pain.
  • Posted

Hi Diane, 

I was taking Gaberpentin for about two years. I was bloated and put on a couple of stone including increase in breast tissue. My Gp was awful to me when i toild him about the weight gain and didn't believe me until i showed him the leaflet that came with it. I have weaned myself off this drug now, slowly. It has been a couple of weeks now since i took it. I feel better in myself and hoping the weight will decrease. I also found the drugs had stopped working on my pain. If you wen off them do it slowly over a few weeks. 

Elizabeth 

• Posted

Elizabeth,

I am going off of it! I can not take this!! Drs. just don't get it!!! I am very flustered with my dr. Did you have withdrawals? I can't take the crying and feeling basically worthless!!! Thanks for the response!

Diane

• Posted

Please come off slowly there have been cases where stopping GB cold can cause seizures.

• Posted

I was irritable for a while from withdrawal of gaberpentin, because i withdrew slowly i didn't get any bad withdrawal symptoms. I am similar to Carolyn in that i now have nothing for the pain, didtraction methods and using heat is all i have now. I am not sleeping well but i will not go back on these drugs. I am sure when the drugs are out of your system completely you will feel better. Do go back to your Gp and ask about pain management clinics, usally based at a hospital. 

Hope you start to feel better soon. 

• Posted

Diane, if you have only been on it for 3 mints , my suggestion is get off now as from all I read and hear the longer you take and the more you take the worse it will be on you. Go to a pain management Dr for help. I heard there is help on utube called The Road Back. It may have been a book. I am not certain. Maybe someone on this site remembers 

I pray you get better. Be strong and tell yourself you will not let this drug take over your life. You CAN do this. You are not alone and others are in the same place and many many are worse so count your blessings and get started today but taper off the correct way. Good luck 

• Posted

Carolyn, 

I am trying my hardest to not let this ruin my life, but it pretty much has!!! Thank you for the encouragement!!! I am going off and taking one day at a time!!! 

• Posted

Diane. I have taken for almost 6 months. Started off 900mg a day and eased my leg pain

for few months but stopped and Dr said take more and I knew I didn’t want to but didnt

tell him. When the pills stopped working I saw no need to keep taking so I began to take

2 a day for several weeks then 1 at bedtime. I am taking 1 300 mg at bedtime now. When

i first get up my leg is not hurting as bad for first hour but then it starts but the GABA will

not stop it unless I took large doses and I know that means increases until it will have me

CRAZY or worse so guess I havto suffer with leg pain the rest of my life as I have tried

everything ! It’s so sad that a pill will work but has such horrid side effects a person has to suffer

in pain ! I am 70 years old and go to bed in tears and get up most mornings in tears from

hurting and life is not supposed to be that way ! The pill did not make me gain weight at all.

i wish it had. 100lbs- 5’4

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.