Gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

does anyone else suffer from catastrophic memory loss. I struggle like mad with my near memory while on gabapentin but remember the distant past with extreme clarity. This memory loss is reaĺly bad to the point I punch my self in the head!!! Yes! That bad.

I take gabapentin for restless limb syndrome or restless leg syndrome as some call it. Gabapentin works 100% in getting rid of this awful affliction. However, it is the short term memory resulting in fits of rage.

Anyone else get the same???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, memory loss, both short and long-term are common with gab. The drug is actually a seizure medication so it affects the brain/neurons and synapses. You may feel it helps with your RLS, but you need to decide of the side effects are worth it. Many of us can't handle all the side effects, including confusion, brain fog, depression and memory issues.

I was on 2700 mg 3 yrs ago and am now down to 300 mg, so I'll be stopping very soon. There may be more bad side effects in store for you with gab, as you may already know. If you want to get off the drug, knowledgeable support groups recommend a 10% per day drop (i.e. 1500 mg to 1400 mg/day), waiting 4 weeks or longer before the next drop. Withdrawal is common with the drug and you can NOT stop cold turkey as it can cause seizures and other serious health problems. BTW, few doctors know about the problems, they don't read the hand outs. Not everyone has side effects, they're not rare. You're not alone in this misery. Good luck.

• Posted

I take when I need. I take one dose of 300mg x 3 when I feel RLS is setting in. I may get RLS every night for months or on/off or periods free off RLS. I can stop immediately and start immediately. My doctor put me on 3000mg a day at one stage which ruined my University degree. I also take the max plus more of tramadol daily. I injured my spine years ago in a road traffic accident. Gabapentin does absolutely nothing for joint pain and Tramadol does nothing for RLS.

• Posted

yep, welcome to the club. Gabapentin is well known for short term memory loss amongst many other things.

restless leg syndrome is bad enough on its own to cope with, and a problem with short term memory loss because of the drug is testing to say the least.

If there is no alternative, but to take gabapentin for your RLS, may i suggest as i did, to write things down of importance or keep a diary. That way you can keep a reference of whats going on in your life and not missing appointments etc.

If your memory gets any worse, see your GP imediately, after all they are responsible for your primary care and the drugs they prescribe for you.

Just as a final thought, many drugs today have an generic alternative (cheaper) many doctors are put under pressure to prescribe them to save money. Your chemist sometimes uses a different brand, but under the same name. it may pay you to take note if one brand responds better for you than another.

Ric.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.