Gabapentin. “A safe and effective medication”

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is it?  I believe the higher dosage more side effects. These side effects get confused as symptoms so You have another illness requiring medication which has side effects. Please stop the madness!  Research and go to Your Doctor informed. There are other things to help you sleep!!! It creates more pain yet I’m stuck on the merry go round of trying to stop taking this safe non addictive medication!  They can’t tell You how either. The Makers took a medication that wasn’t good for much, lied about it and it becomes one of the most used in USA!  Wake up FDA and DEA sit on Doctors heads about it. Like you do the opiates and benzodiazepines that are easier to cut down or stop!!

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Exactly! I have been off Gabapentin for almost 3 months. It's like I went from viewing thru a very dirty window that is now Crystal clear. The pharmacy companies make more money with these new generation drugs. In the past the doctor would prescribe a bento for sleep or opiate for pain. It would state "as needed" on the bottle. Now it's 3 times a day. Valium and Xanax were basically very cheap. It's all about what makes them the most money folks. Don't be fooled. They are just clouding your judgement with this garbage. It was really easy for me after the first 2 weeks, and oh by the way! The doctor who prescribed gabs for me prescribed thyroid meds to speed up my metabolism so I wouldn't gain weight. On Gabs I was eating 1.5 quarts of ice cream every 2 days. I have had 3 servings in that past 3 months. Good luck to all. DON'T GIVE UP!

• Posted

The FDA is currently in the process of reclassifying this drug. They have put together a commission that is researching it. It will probably be put in the controlled substance or opioid class. that is good news !
  • Posted

I'm 7 mos off still have trouble thinking. When I was on it, side effects, most troubling was heart attack symptoms. Yet Heart Dr. could not find that I was having heart attacks on the EKGs he was running. This was just one side effect of numerous side effects. And I was being prescribed other drugs for what side effects were caused by the Gaba.   Bad Stuff  

• Posted

This has got to be the most misunderstood of the widely used/over-prescribed drugs. My pain from shingles was so bad I took it, but started at a very low dose. I only took 100 3 X a day. Of course it didn't help much, doc kept upping it to 2700 mg. I, like many, had almost all the side effects. As I've now tapered to 900 mg/day in the last 17 months, it's hard to tell which is/was worse, the PHN or the meds. Many days I think the gab is worse.

The data they're basing this positive comment is old and incomplete. At least some doctors are finally figuring it out, but they're in the vast minority. The UK is ahead of us on this, so maybe we'll finally figure it out too. As far as re-classifying, it has more to do with the number of deaths from opioids/heroin that also have gab in their body. They're using it to increase their "high".  HIGH?? Someone WANTS to have no memory, can't add 5 plus 8, is dizzy etc.?

• Posted

I’m sure the stats are right about People getting higher on heroin/opiates. The problem I have with this is the gabapentin is dangerous on its own. I know it almost killed Me. Like many we’ve had bad side effects and are being told it’s in our heads. Well no!  Chronic upper respiratory infections and failure isn’t in my head!  Good news about Reclassification of this drug! When it all comes out I believe it will be one of the biggest bad ideas they have ever had. Yes! Let’s mess with someone’s central nervous system and brain with no idea how to help them stop, horrific side effects and say this is safer for your pain!  Doctors should now be trained to demedicate People and stop over prescribing!  Look at the side effect and don’t automatically think symptom!  
    • Posted

I can't believe what this drug has done to everyone including myself. It's horrible ! Your posts are spot on !! Couldn't have said it better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.