Gabapentin and alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking gabapentin for a week now. I take 100mg 200mg lunch and 200mg evening. It's my birthday tomorrow and wondered if I have half a pint of beer will it knock me out. The pharmacist said no alcohol what so ever I wondered what people's thoughts were

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

First thing Happy Birthday for tomorrow .

I drink on gab I'm on 300mg 3times a day I like and drink special brew which is 8% volume so

Its strong beer a half a pint of beer won't do you any harm been on gab for over a year now

And never had any problems at all .

Every drug the pharmacy give says that .

Don't worry enjoy your day and half a drink .

• Posted

You should listen to what your pharmacist tells you they are the people who know!! Hope this helps
  • Posted

I dont think light alcolol or a drink  is any harm. Listen to your body.  I noticed that when I took gaba.  though it took away my desire to drink at all......I mean , I lost all craving for any at all...... I dont use gaba. anymore. 

• Posted

Hi Jim

Not meaning to be a killjoy ,I just mentioned that if your not to sure don't mix your tablets with drink.

I take 2,700 mg a day and still have the odd fruit cider 😄 John

• Posted

Unlesss you already are feeling some kind of intoxicating effect from the Gaba, a few pints is no problem. Yes, the pharmacists always say that to be on the safe side. Just use your good judgement. I have used 1800 mg for 3 years, but it only makes me a bit drowsy after a few drinks. Then it`s no fun to drink anymore, and I go home.
    • Posted

Hi Wolf

I Am on 2,700 A day plus cocodamol, I was only saying in my earlier post that if your not to sure just have the odd one or two

Things John

• Posted

I know it's been a week. Happy Birthday.  I know everyone has different results. Just adding mine.  I was on this drug for 47 days. I read the leaflet that came with it and it advised against it.  My hubby and I were out at a bar getting burgers, because the bars have the best, he had a beer and I had a coke.  I drank three large gulps of his drink.  I had to leave the restaurant. I was so sleepy I got sick and when I got home I took a nap for three hours. And felt horriible when I woke. So it's totally up to your effects of trying it out. I hope you had a great birthday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.