Gabapentin and itchy scalp and back

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I was prescribed Gabapentin a few weeks back and i am slowly trying to increase my dosage to 3x300mg a day. So far only managed two a day. I am always tired and recently since increasing to 2 a day i have an incredibly itchy scalp and back. Now i know I dont have head lice or anything like that so why this itch and should i stop taking it or is this normal.

It was prescribed for neuropathic pain from back problem.

Please let me know if anyone has had this and will it ease or get worse?

thankyou

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I can honestly say I hated them. Turned me into a zombie
    • Posted

Hi Iris

So far it's the only medication that has helped with the pain. It's catch 22 pain or side effects. What were your side effects?

Thanks Lisa

• Posted

I was on 1200mg 3xs daily. The itching is a side effect. I recommend talking to your doctor about it, especially if the itching spreads to your throat. I'm still supposed to be taking gabapentin daily, but it hasn't worked for me in months and I'm on the maximum allowable dosage. This medicine has been recognized to cause dandruff which may explain there itching on the scalp, but still it is imperative that you inform your doctor of all side effects. When I started it, I started out on 300mg 3xs daily asking with a compounded cream with it in it as well. It also caused severe drowsiness, almost to the point I couldn't function period, let alone being active duty and a mother. You may have to slowly increase the dosage after your body adjusts to the lowest level. But again, please talk to your doctor and tell him everything that you have noticed. It may not be the right medication for you. Which there are several others out there (I know, I've been on almost all of them) that might work better for you. Good luck. Please keep me posted.

• Posted

Thank you for replying I was hoping this would work for me after this is the fourth thing they've tried. It just seems everything I have tried either doesn't work or causes bad reactions. I will speak to G.P just sick of going back and forth..

Hope you have managed to find the right medication now. Working and family life is hard enough without health problems. Thank you for your help

• Posted

I was interested in your post because I recently began taking this med too. I have dry mouth, ringing in my ears and blurred vision. The first two I can handle, but not the blurred vision. I had itching, but didn't relate that until I read your post. I have to call my doc and try something else. Can't see how to do my job so it's not doable.

• Posted

Hi Annie

I feel for you its all trial and error. Amitryptline gave me the blurred vision. Then they tried Duloxetine used for diabetics (I am not) that made me violently sick. Injections in my spine didn't work so hence why we are trying Gabapentin was hoping for a miracle but always seems to be one side effect you can't cope with. Good luck with it hope you get your medication sorted

Regards Lisa

• Posted

hello

Yes I have terrible scalp itching and back itching.

It troubles me!

• Posted

Me too! I thought I was going crazy! I bought everything over the counter I could find that had lidocaine, aloe, benedryl, etc.  Im going to ask my doc for gabapentin!
  • Posted

I am currently on 600mg gabapentin with diagnosed with Ramsey Hunt Syndrome, and now trigeminal neuralgia. After most of the pain has subsided I have had intense itching along the nerves that were damaged. Along the side of my affected face, ear, chin, but mostly scalp. I have tried different shampoos, oils, creams, benedryl etc, and nothing so far has worked. Its driving me to the brink of a cliff. Now what?

• Posted

This describes me exactly! Im always digging in my head to the point i have sores and my back looks horrid from the constant scratching. I figured it must be the medicine because I didnt start doing it until I started taking the medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.