Gabapentin and TN

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

Since starting Gabapentin I haven't had any migraines that come with the TN, yay, however, the TN is still a problem. I'm reluctant to ask my GP to increase the Carbamazepine (currently on 1400mg per day) as I have dreadful double vision - this started with the Carbamazepine and has worsened in the last few weeks. I also have up and down nystagmus, sometimes with the double vision and I must admit to being more than a little peeved! I find my balance is off when it happens.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if these side effects can be reduced or preferably relieved entirely by switching the Carbamazepine to Oxcarbazepine? Or if you have any other suggestions? 🤨

Thanks, in advance 😊

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i cant tolerate carbamazapine so i have been given lamotrsgine for TN. i have botox injections for my migraines and my neurologist has suggested nerve block injections. i have also tried topiramate. i think if you are experiencing double vision which is a side effect i wouldnt be asking to increase the dose. have you tried anything else like lamotragine? i dont know what other treatments are used for TN I Just got told carbamazapine and lamotragine. could you speak to your neurologist secretary maybe see what else can be offered. sometimes GPs are limited to what they can prescribe so it might be worth asking neuro for advice

• Posted

Thanks for replying, my neurologist is not really interested in the migraines, he just told me to give up cheese and chocolate! Foolish man, I explained that they were always, previously, hormone related, and since the hysterectomy up until about two years ago I did not have any. And then I started getting them after the TN attacks. My GP has been fantastic. We have discussed changing to Oxcarbazepine. Apart from that no other drugs have been discussed. To be honest the Gabapentin has had a really good effect, no more migraines just the TN, which has improved. We did discuss reducing the Carbamazepine. I'm due to see him again in a couple of weeks. I'll mention the other drugs and in the meantime I will do some research on them.

Thanks again.

• Posted

i got the operation to cure TN and it has been a life saver. i couldnt eat or speak for about a year as the pain was so horrific and now thanks to my amazing neorsurgeon i am better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.