Gabapentin: ANY good reports on how it helped?

Posted , 8 users are following.

All I get is horror reports.  The drug is for people with seizers....does it HELP them?  My Dr. put me on the med. for nerve damage from my butt to my feet.  ANYBODY where this med has helped for seizers/nerve pain?

I started a thread about a week ago.....only yo get horror stories. My brothers girlfriend had a seizer and takes the med.  Loved it....no seazers since.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The meds won't make any difference in how quickly the sciatica pain heals. It disrupts the brain and the pain signals that transmit the pain. However, while doing that it can also cause: confusion, movement disorders, fatigue, weight gain, loss of memory--both short term and long term, numbed feelings,severe depression and suicidal thoughts, blurred vision,anxiety, sleeplessness, feelings of rage or anger, increased risk of dementia (that one's new, just reported in the Journal of the American Geriatric society this month) and that's the SHORT list!

However, many people have only minimal problems with the drug, but the longer they're on it and the higher the dose the worse the problems can get. When it's felt that the drugs aren't needed, you need to get off them (taper) about about 10-25% decrease per month. I used to be skeptical too. However, as my PHN improved (nerve pain from shingles) I wanted to have a clearer mind and feel more like myself. As I tapered, the problems I had with it as I decreased, came back. I then started my research and learned more about the drug.

There ARE other medications and protocols that can help with your pain. Doctors and researchers are only now realizing that gab can be as problematic as opioids. Obviously the decision is yours and your doctors. You may be part of the group that has no problem with it. But I only went on it as the pain was absolutely excruciating and debilitating. I now still have chronic pain, but I'm managing it differently. I just want you to be aware that you may trade one problem for another. Many people stop at 900 mg/day because of the side effects, but if you truly feel that there's minimal impact for you, you're lucky. However, beyond 18000 mg/day the pain won't lessen, just the side effects worsen.

• Posted

People tell me to get off the med....people also tell me their are OTHER meds to get on....but nobody tells me WHAT those meds are.  I've looked on the internet and found nothing.  I came here for answers...plenty have answered....but without a solution.....but thanks anyway.....

• Posted

It's hard to say, we're not doctors (just play one on TV). However, if the MRI didn't show any pressure on the spinal cord from various conditions such as a herniated disk or spinal stenosis, it seems uncertain was is causing the pain in the sciatic nerve. Did they try anti-inflammatories like Aleve? Did they mention an injection? Usually it's treated with exercise, PT, hot and/or cold, stretching etc. Even Tylenol or other OTC meds or other types of prescribed meds may help. There are other medications used to treat nerve pain such as amitriptylin, which is an anti-depressant. They are prescribed as they may help with pain. There are several others but they too can cause problems. I understand your pain, I've had sciatica too. But as you said, the pain is getting better and the better treatment may be something else besides drugs.

The more they learn about pain meds, the more they realize that they often cause more harm than good. Talk to your doctor, do research or do as you wish.

• Posted

hi james,  yes, it was manufactured for people w/seizures but now, due to the opiod crisis, they are trying to shove this lovely medicine on us for pain and nerve neuropathy.  you didnt say how much you take. but you can increase it if it isnt helping, up to 3600mg. Im on 2400mg and some pain its helped; others, not so much. I had decided to get off of it and ran across this forum and now im scared to death to try. Ive never heard of any withdraw symptoms before.  maybe it would be better if you didnt start taking it.  if you really dont need, id try for something else. you cannot get a buzz off of these. just thought id tell you. good luck to you.
    • Posted

I'm up to 1200mg a day.  The Dr. put me on it and I'm giving it time.  Of all the answers I have gotten...most say bad.  Nobody as of yet had ANYTHING I should try!?  If not Gabapentin then what?

• Posted

Terrie, I don't want to take over this thread, but you can safely taper down. Look up tapering from benzoids or anti-depressants and you'll get advice. Generally if you do a 10-25% reduction over several weeks or a month, you will have some problems, but they're tolerable. Some people have very little problem tapering off, but even the patient info sheets tell you to not stop abruptly.

• Posted

You can taper off but it takes a long time and it must be done very Very slowly. I would do 100mg every 3 to 4 weeks.  The slower the better.   Good luck
  • Posted

James, in my posts above I mentioned several other treatments and even mentioned specific drugs by name. Maybe you missed it. Pre-gab or Lyrica can be better or worse than gab. Often anti-depressants such as amitriptyline or other tri-cycle anti-depressants are prescribed. Tylenol or NSAID may also help along with creams like Aspercreme with Lidocaine.
  • Posted

i have also mentioned Physical therapy and chiropractor. It takes time it’s a slow process but it helps a lot 
  • Posted

A Gabapentin pill is the best oral medication used to control brain condition during seizures disorder. Gabapentin is the best treatment for neuropathic pains like nerve pain in back.
    • Posted

I have siactic nerve pain from my butt down my leg.  Been on Gabapentin for 5 weeks....no improvement at all. Up to 1200 mg right now a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.