Gabapentin bruising and joint pain anyone had these

Posted , 1 user is following.

I recently decide that I would like to get off my Gabapentin. The reason I was put on i twas nerve pain down my arms that did not go away after having neck surgery 300mg 3 times a day. I also developed ulnar never pain after my neck surgery. The Gabapentin never helped me much with my ulnar never pain. I thought maybe the other never pain is gone and I should get off this. I have some bruising on my forearms and joint pain in my fingers. I am not off the medicine as I am going to do the 10% tapering. I did try to cut back 2 for 4 days last week. I am not sure if it is the medicine or the withdraws that are causing my symptoms. I just want clear headed brain like I had before. Any help with pain symptoms both on and off the med would be helpful. I have never had joint pain in my hands before. It is painful to type this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Its uncomfortable coming off of it initially, I thought about as equally uncomfortable as tapering onto it.

When tapering off, no matter the dosage they advised to do it by 1/3rd every 3 days, so going from 900mg daily (300mg 3x daily), to cut out one of the daily doses entirely rather than 200mg 3x then 100mg 3x then done. Not sure why they advised this way, fortunately never got beyond 300mg before I said no way.

I'd definitely say discuss with your doctor if feeling withdrawal, I've heard horror stories from long time gabapentin patients not being able to stop because the withdrawal felt like they might die.

Such a terrible drug.

• Posted

Rommon, sadly that tapering schedule is outdated by about 20 years and shows how little doctors know. Support groups now strongly recommend 10% or less over 4 weeks or more. SO, if someone is on 900 mg, they need to drop 100 mg for the day for one month or longer.

If you can find the documentary by Lisa Ling that was broadcast in the US on CNN network, about the Benzo crisis, it will answer a lot of questions. It was just on 10/6/2019 and was excellent.

Yes, withdrawal is hard, but if you go slowly and carefully you can minimize some of the worst effects. Don't drop anymore until you feel better.

• Posted

I DID attempt to post something several days ago and I assumed it went through. However I was traveling and it may not have as I don't see it here. I'm not familar with anyone having bruising and that could be a concern you should talk to your doctor about. Are you on drugs like Plavix or Coumadin? The brain fog, pain and confusion, including the joint pain are common. I posted below on how to decrease 10% over 4 weeks or more. Personally, I found that I needed 8 weeks or longer to allow more good days before the next taper and its withdrawal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.