Gabapentin caused my husband's depression.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband was prescribed Gabapentin around the beginning of 2017 for back pain. I *think* the dosage was something like 900mg 3x a day.

It never did anything for the pain but it affected his memory, cognitive function and even balance.

After several months he began to experience crying spells where he would cry for no reason and would be completely inconsolable. It got so bad that he locked himself in his shop and hid crying in the back until a friend could go in to calm him down. This was the start of where he is now.

This was the point that I managed to get him to go to the doctor's where he was referred to the pain clinic and told to start dosing down from the Gabapentin. He became very depressed and began experiencing suicidal thoughts. He researched methods of suicide and decided on one, he even sat calmly telling me all about his research and what he would do if he decided to go through with it. Around this time he also told me that he didn't know if he loved me or his family, he was a real mess.

Eventually I managed to get him to go back to the doctor's where he broke down and told him he didn't want to feel like this anymore so the doctor gave him Citalopram which he's been on for several months now, starting at 10mg, then 20mg and now 40mg for the past 6 months ish.

Recently something seemed to snap inside his brain and he became very distressed and told me that the depression and suicidal thoughts had never gone away he'd just been ignoring them all this time and he packed a bag and left.

He's been gone almost 4 weeks now but is saying that he loves me but doesn't want to be with me and blames our marriage for the way his head is.

He thinks that there is no relevance between what happened with the Gabapentin and where he is now but given that the depression and suicidal thoughts began with that and have never gone away, I (IMO) beg to differ.

Please research this drug before taking it if it's prescribed to you, particularly for any off-label use.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I totally relate. Went on it for back pain also and it didn't help. I've been off of it for 2 mos and am a mess having the side affects among others. It's horrible ! Had I known I would never have gone on that drug...it's bad news. I wish you luck.

• Posted

I’m glad you realize it’s the Gabapentin that caused your husband’s depressed mood and suicidal thoughts. It can change people’s thought patterns and a lot of other things.

I didn’t want to live after Gabapentin caused me to develop a rapid onset of a movement disorder after only taking two consecutive 300 mg doses. I think it caused something to backfire in my brain, since they can see a white spot on my brain MRI, but they decided to blame my twitching and jerking movements on a psychological disorder. This occurred 10 years ago but at least I got over my suicidal ideas. 

Doctors protect this drug. 

I hope things will work out for you. 

• Posted

I have EDS/ hyper-mobility syndrome and need opiates to function and go to work, otherwise I'd be in pain all the time. I tolerate these very well, and have had no problems with them. Then a couple of years ago, my doc prescribed gabapentin for me as well: 900mg, three times daily, so I was on 2700 mg. Jeez!! It affected my memory, I felt tired and grumpy all the time, and had weird thoughts. It came to a head when I totally blew my top at work with one of my assistants over a minor issue. I went on a taper down- taking one less capsule( 300 mg) every 4 days. I am now gaba free for 3 months, and I have to say, I feel a lot better mentally, I'm not angry over the smallest of things, and I have the energy back to enjoy my life. I feel that gabapentin is only useful for a minority of people and that docs 'push' it for off-label uses. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole now, it messes with your moods and your reasoning. Thankfully I didn't experience any major withdrawal symptoms, just the occasional 'electric flash' in my brain for a second or two. That's now gone.

Stick to the older drugs for pain, gabapentin is flippin' horrible!!!

• Posted

Going through horrible withdrawls for 8 weeks now. Horrible !!
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear all your stories. The way that stuff is so readily handed out is frightening.

I hope you've all been able to successfully recover from your time on this awful medication.

• Posted

I'm so terribly sorry for what you are both going through. We can't tell you what steps to take, but as you probably know, many people have severe depression and suicidal thoughts from this medication. He needs help, but the only way that can help is if his doctor or someone else intervenes. He may resist anything that you say at this point. Many of us have struggles in our lives, but when the gab pushes reason aside, things get skewed. I hope you can at least reach out to someone, either a friend, clergyman or therapist to help you with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.