gabapentin detox

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi folks, just read some of your accounts and experiences with the drug gabapentin.

as a chronic back pain sufferer, i think i can safely say that i have tried every horrible pain killer known to man. after all else failed i was on morphine for a year and a half. All these prescription pain killers are great when you first start them, they give you the comfort you seek for a while then you need more and more and more, until they end up giving you pain instead of them taking it away. After a year and and half on morphine i realised that i needed to get off this horrible drug before it was too late. It took me three months of hell, but i did it. the difference to my body without it was fantastic.

still being in pain, my doctors put me on Gabapentin instead, so i took the advice and started on 300mg x 3 daily. in no time at all, i was on 600mg x 3. After over a year, my body has had enough....the side effects are bad. rashes, ears ringing, loss of taste, fatigue, pain, swollen glands to name a few.

four days ago after having a dreadful rash that covered at least 25% of my body, enough is enough. i have gone cold turkey. I do not advise any of you to do the same, consult your GP first.

The point i wish to make is this, if you really want to come off some of these horrible prescription drugs because they are working against you....then do it, dont be frightened, there is always help available to see you through it. you need to take control back, not the drug take control of you. If you decide enough is enough, then do as much research as you can and set up a support system of family and friends to help you along the way. We human beings have the capacity to be remarkable when the chips seem stacked against us.

I was scared out of my skin before i came off morphine....but i did it, now..Gabapentin is getting the same treatment. I want it out of my life because longterm use of this drug is not good.....this is something they wont tell you.

For those of you who only use this drug for pain relief, as i have.....dont!

I say again..take back control of your body, find alternatives and do it soon.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ric, Were you successful getting off Gab.? If so, did you do cold turkey or taper off slowly? I keep having unexpected side effects for no apparent reason. I there any one in this forum that has gotten off and has no more side effects? If so how was it done? Thanks Scott

• Posted

hi Scott, thanks for your reply.

im on day 6 without gabapentin, no tapering off and the worst effect i have had is a sweat and a little fatigue. I may be one of the lucky ones, but i think its more to do with the fact that my body has had far worse in the way of morphine to deal with than gabapentin. Taking pain killers for me these days is no better than taking candy. I dont think anyone should do the same as i have, go cold turkey, if you want to be off the gabapentin, speak to your GP first. it only takes 7 to 10 days anyway, then your brain can adjust to not having it in your system anymore.

I will say this, i feel better already, the brain fog is lifting and im not in as much pain. The rashes are going away too.

As this type of drug is aided by your kidneys and not your liver, after 48 hours it is out of your system. Drink lots of water after this period to help flush out any residual bits left. How long it takes your brain to get used to not having it in your system anymore, will be down to each individual, as were all unique.

Short term on this drug, for spinal pain has its benefits. longterm ....is a big fat no no, the huge list of side effects, is'nt worth it and some of them wont go away either.

Ric.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.