Gabapentin dosage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am waiting for an appointment to see a consultant with my neck and head pain I am taking gabapentin tablets which are helping a little with the awful pain I am thinking about seeing the doctor to see if she will increase the dose but I am worried about the side effects comments would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Christine, speak to your doctor about this , I started on 1x 300mg tablet 3 times daily I'm now on 3x 300mg 3 times daily and I suffered terribly with side effects ranging from dizziness blurred vision breathing difficulties palpitations unsteadyness etc but everyone is different we all react different. I take gabapentin amytriptyline and now noributyline as I suffered terribly with the amytriptyline. There are other options that are less potent but as I say we are all different and suffer differently. Discuss your concerns with your gp and find alternatives if available, what I will say is that I had to give up work so being at home I managed to cope through the effects and the benefits are worth it when weighed against living in constant pain.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Richard I am going to go back to the doctor I have been going on and off for three years it gets so upsetting and frustrating at times I just hope that I will get some answers from the consultant that I am seeing in July. Gabapentin helps but not as well as I had hoped. Regards Christine
  • Posted

Hi,

Gabapentin was my first port of call and I cannot remember the side effects because I was suffering with the pain so much. Tramadol was also tried together with gabapentin but was useless as a painkiller. My pain management now consists of gabapentin 900 mg three times a day, naproxen 500 mg twice a day, amatriptaline 40 mg at night and morphine based pain patch 24/7. I also take other meds for unrelated causes.

As you might imagine I am in a permanent state of brain fog and very lethargic, but pain is controlled.

Good luck,

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike

I am on four hundred gabapentin 3 times a day and 20mg of amitriptyline I am wondering if it would help my pain to increase the dose I haven't had any bad side effects except my eyes seem a little blurred. My whole neck and throat problem has been made worse by the horrible radiologist who did the facet injections I get upset just thinking about it many thanks for you reply

• Posted

Hi,

The gabapentin could be increased by your gp, up to 900  three times a day, don't do it yourself, get gp to assess you first. Amatriptaline, although an insignificant looking tablet, can act powerfully with other meds, I have to take bacaflan for my leg spasms and when I mix them I am totally hopeless all day.

Mike.

• Posted

I just got scheduled to have cervical epidural steroid injections for my neck pain, shoulder and arm pain.  Hopefully this will give some relief 
    • Posted

Hi Cindy I have had steroid injections they helped but the relief from the pain only lasted a couple of weeks. I then paid to have facet injections I have been more pain since the treatment I still don't know if it's standard practice to inject through the front of the neck thanks for your reply. Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.