Gabapentin - dosage, effectiveness, side effects.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been taking Gabapentin (only in the evening) for 10 days. I am currently taking 600 mg/night and increasing by 100 mg each daily until I get side effects. So far I have not noticed any improvement to my CS or right hand numbness, and the only side effect is drowsiness and dizziness. I'd like to hear from others about their experience with Gabapentin - dosage, effectiveness, side effects.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was taking 9 gabapentin a day along with 8 tramadol, eased neck pain a little but done nothing for pain in arms & hands, ended up on 12 gabapentin but caused weight gain, was a size 8 now nearer a size 14 3 years later, stomach weight gain was the worst, now measure 40 inches across my stomach, I've been on all kinds of pills the past 5 years & still found nothing to take away all the pain, just ordered a neck hot water bottle so will see if that helps with neck & shoulders.

• Posted

I had similar lack or improvement and side effects. Best things to help were

1. Time

2. Altering sleeping position (now back)

3. Physical therapy

4. Heat pad (kind you plug in)

5. Exercise

6. Reduce/eliminate carbs

• Posted

Hi, I took gabapentin some years ago and it was increased to a dosage of 800mg. It made me feel really loopy as my doctor at the time called it. I felt like I was walking on a cloud. Didn't like that feeling at all, but it took all of my pain away. I stopped taking it. Okay, a couple of months ago I asked my doctor that I have now to add it to my medication list. I'm only taking 300mg and it works for pain and I'm able to sleep. I hadn't been able to sleep and the gabapentin works for that along with easing some of my pain from Fibromyalgia and neck pain.

• Posted

Gosh,  That seems a lot i am on garpentin  100mg over 24 hours, my consulktant said i can increase up to 200 mg p.d. as that ius BNF guidlines.
  • Posted

I've been on 300 mg, 3 times per day for two years for lumbar spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis.  I noticed a significant improvement after my first day on the medication with a reduction of the numbness and tingling in my legs and feet.  However, it didn't take it away fully nor did it help with pain.  The doctor increased me to 4 times per day to see it that work better, but within just a few days of adding the 4th dose, my ankles and feet swelled to enormous proportions.  Unfortunately, the doctor thought the swelling was caused by something else so he insisted I stay at the increased dose.  When the swelling didn't resolve itself and I couldn't stand it any longer, I put myself back down to 3 times and within a week the swelling was gone.   Since starting the gabapentin, my balance is definitely off.  I have to be very conscious of going from sitting to standing, the surface where I'm walking/standing, foot placement, etc.  This has nothing to do with dizzyness, it's almost a feeling of swaying without being able to control it.  The other side effect for me is blurred vision.  Most of the time it's subtle, but towards the end of the day it's worse and almost seems as if I have an oily film on my eyeballs that I have to keep blinking them to clear.  My opthalmologist has confirmed it's not an issue with my eyes themselves.  Bottom line, I'm very grateful that I was given the gabapentin.  While it isn't 100% effective and has annoyed me with side effects, I will definitely stay on it.  Oh, I stumbled on this site as I'm having neck and shoulder issues and wondered if I was more susceptible to cervical spondylolisthesis because I have lumbar.  Good luck with your treatment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.