Gabapentin dose

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a herniated lumbar disc resulting in backache but worst of all buttock pain and sciatica. A Nerve Block in November only gave me relief for 2 weeks so now I’m having to take Tramadol again but on the advice of my Orthopaedic Consultant my GP has prescribed Gabapentin as well. I am a bit confused as to how I should be increasing the dose. I’ve looked online and there’s so much conflicting advice. My GP advised 100mgs in the morning on the first day, increasing to 3 times a day by the 3rd day. That was 2 weeks ago. I’m now taking 300mgs morning and night & 200mgs in the afternoon. I intend to take 300mgs 3 Times a day from Monday but where do I go from there if that doesn’t give me adequate pain relief? Should I just increase the dose further? Thank you in advance for any help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan, maybe work closely with a pain management doctor who is familiar with gabapentin and other drugs.  Gabapentin does have side effects, some of us have stopped taking it because of them and then felt serious withdrawal symptoms. I was prescribed it for mildneuropathy, low dose, 3x 100mg a day before I stopped. Have withdrawal symptoms still after 26 days off. Personally, I won’t take it again.  But then some do tolerate it well. Maybe do some research and work with your doctor to help relieve your pain.  Best wishes to you. 
  • Posted

Hi Jan999...Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I have similar problems with my back.I have chronic arthritis in L3,4,and5.I have had a number of pain blocks along with 900mg 3 times a day of Gabpentin plus cocodamol as well 30/500 mg. This does not shift all of the pain but it does help to take the the edge of it and gets me through the day.If yours are not helping so much, I would ask your doc to increase your dosage to may be 600 mg 3 times a day.  Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.