Gabapentin - feeling drowsy and spaced out.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello.

I've just started a low dose of Gabapentin - 300mgs at night, which may be increased to deal with my polyneuropothy. My problem is the next day I feel drowsy and spaced out and a little unsteady. My gp has told me to take this when I go to bed. Does anybody else have the same side effects and more importantly does anybody know if I took this at 6.pm.perhaps - would this help with these side effects the next day.

Many thanks to anybody who may have some suggestions

David

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, first of all you said it, you are new so it takes a little time to adjust. I take mine in the evening but I take 100 after supper about 6 pm because it prevents my restless leg from starting and then I take the other at bedtime around 11 pm. I sleep fine and yes feel a little tired in the am but coffee helps!
    • Posted

Hello Sandra. Thanks for your comments - I also have restless leg syndrome aswell as the polyneuropathy. I was a little concerned as I know the dose will be increased.and this is now the 4th drug to i'm trying as others had side effects to bad to continue.

You've given me some reassurance.

David

• Posted

Hi David:

You will find that your body will adjust. The only side affect of Gabapentin is being drowsy. Due to exposure to agent orange I started off with 300 mg 3x a day but have increased dosage to 800 mg 6-7 x per day. The only side affect that I have is being tired in the evenings. I work full time and have no issues during the day. So, your body will adjust to the dosage and if you have to take additional Gabapentin don't worry.

• Posted

Hi Gary.

Thanks for your comments - I was concerned as I know the dose will be increased, But it's early days for me on this drug and your assurance that my body will adjust is welcome.

All the best - David

• Posted

Hi David. I started taking gabapentin 3 days ago. I've started 300mg at night with a plan to increase to 300mg tree times a day. Just like you I'm feelings bit spaced out and fuzzy. Also have stomach cramps,and a little nauseous. No relief in pain as yet. I'm hoping my body adjusts quickly!!

• Posted

Hi Rachael. I will only be taking the Gabapentin at night - as that's when my symptoms are the worst - but the dose will be increased. I was told to take it when I go to bed but I have now brought that night dose forward to 8.pm - and I have found I'm not so dopey the next morning. I don't know if that's of any use to you as you have to take it 3 times a day and may it not be practical to change the timings.

Best wishes - David

• Posted

Hi David, I have been taking 600mg 4 times a day for years without any problems, sometimes it can take time to get in to your system and taking them a bit earlier would do you any harm you can always try and if it helps then you will know just to take them a bit earlier. But give them time to get into your system before you give up as they are good ,

Good luck

Loraine x

• Posted

yes,i found problems when taking gabapentin but now after 8 months i take 900mg( 300mg 3 times a day ) without any problems .. it can take months for your body to adjust ... stick with it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.