Gabapentin for 2 weeks, will that make me gain weight?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia two days ago. My doctor advised me to take Gabapentin 200mg/day for two weeks just to check the effects of the drug on my body. I've read that Gabapentin can cause massive weight gain, will i gain weight if i take it for two weeks?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Try not to take it.  Very bad drug with withdrawal and brain function.  Try a safe pain reliever.  Please
  • Posted

I'm in agreement with broadbandbill..  I gained 20 lbs can't remember what the time frame was.  Maybe 3mos, when I quit 20lbs disappeared in a month and a half. And yes bad drug I have been off 5 1/2 months and still have limited short-term memory problems among other problems

• Posted

I was on Gaba for fibromyalgia also.  My natural Doctor said to try a sugar-free diet and a lot of pain joint and muscle pain is caused by yeast infections thru our bodies which is fungus. Look up Doug Kaffmen on the Internet for more information. Or type in Fight Fungus infections on your search page. I got to go to work.. Ask any questions I will try to help OTC painkillers are better than the Gaba  as broadband bill said   Good luck
  • Posted

Hi there. Gabapentin has made me gain weight and it's Been studied that alot of cases are that way. But if you are only taking it for two weeks, it should have little, if any , weight gain. Beat thing you can do is try to keep active. Possibly talk to a dietician about your diet and your concerns

• Posted

I'm just scared to gain weight again. It's been very hard for me to lose weight and i just don't want to gain back the weight that i have lost. So far Gaba doesn't make my hands shake unlike Pregabalin which i only took for two days. I've been really cautious about my calorie intake, 1200 calories a day at most. Hopefully, i don't gain weight within two weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.