Gabapentin for fibromyalgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been prescribed gabapentin for pain associated with fibromyalgia. I've started one twice a day and they said gradually increase. I don't know how often to increase by, every day or every week. Don't want to increase too quick as I'm feeling no side effects at the moment

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there 

im presuming your taking the 100mg gabapentin capusles .... if so then i personally would take the increases slow ... i would increase by 100mg ( or 1 capsule ) every 5 days ..... this would then avoid any side effects and would make gabapentin much easier to tolerate 

in reality your doctor should of informed you on the dosage and how to increase .... and since yours is for fibromyalgia this may be different to nueropathic pain ( which i take it for ) .. im now taking 900mg daily split into 3 x 100mg capsules 3 times a day .....however 900mg has took 5 months to reach and it seems to be helping at this dose 

my advice is when you reach the dose and the fibromyalgia pain is controlled then stick with that dose ..... this gives you plenty of dosage headroom ( max daily dosage is 3200mg ) so if your sysmptoms get worse you can simply up the dose until releif is felt 

i hope this helps and i wish you well 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. Going to stick with 100mg three times a day for a week then maybe increase to 200mg three times a day. He said I can go up to 300mg If needed.
    • Posted

yes.that sounds right ... may i ask you about fibromyalgia .... allthough i get pain ( discomfort ) from herniated discs i also experience pain from other parts of the anatomy not associated with the discs ( shoulders.arms,neck,hip ) but i also get bouts of extreme lethargy/tiredness combined with increase anxiety 

whats so annoying it can come on at anytime and last for a week or so ... then suddenly i feel better and then 3 to 4 weeks later it comes back ( allthough it varies ) ..

what are the clear symptoms of fibromyalgia ? ....  and apart from gabapentin are there any other meds for this condition 

just curious 

cheers ... bri 

• Posted

My main symptoms are fatigue and upper back/ neck pain with very tight muscles across shoulders. I also am sensitive to touch on arms and legs i.e. On a bad day even itching my arm causes pain. My pain and fatigue is always there but flares up from time to time. There's no cure I've tried normal painkillers which do nothing. Had amitriptyline in The past. The other options I think are gabapentin and pregabalin

• Posted

your doctor should really guide you and supervise you carefully through this or get a  nother doctor..this stuff is serious...some people have bad reactions, i did after day 2....read more of this blog and you will see others comments but seriously your doc should not just tell you to gradually increase he should give you some guidelines...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.