Gabapentin for hypomania

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed bipolar2 or soft bipolar.....mostly depressed occasionally hypo or hyper.  Dr took me off antidepressants and I've been off them for 3 months.  Now .....because I didn't become depressed when being off antidepressant meds, he says I'm in a hypo state or more excitable than I should be. So he's wanting me to start taking Gabapentin.  Has anyone used this med for this issue or used it for anxiety

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen... I am not bipolar, but took it for anxiety. It was a nightmare that I continue to live, although I have now been off it for two and a half months and only took 100 mg, once a day for six months. It caused so many horrible side effects that I asked to be taken off it. It took me six months to get off it because the withdrawals are a nightmare and being on it was a nightmare. There must be something else you can't take that doesn't cause such severe side effects. Best wishes to you!

• Posted

I was on it for 13 months for osteoporosis pain. Built up to 3200 a day. Did nothing for pain. I decided to get off of it. My Rheumatologist took me down to fast withdrawal is horrid!! Haven't had any since February 1st Still dealing with it!! Much better anxiety, nervousness, sleeplessness, stomach chest pain gone Still dealing with a few stomach issues but I can handle that!!

please be careful this is not a nice drug!!

Good Luck

• Posted

Have not taken for this purpose. Can only say use caution in taking. Terrible med, side effects.
  • Posted

i take 300mg in evening no side effects although i take it for nerve pain and its been a lifesaver currently been on it a year
  • Posted

Thank you for your responses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.