Gabapentin - long lasting side effects?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

I stopped Gaba 2 weeks ago today (tapered down from 4 x 300mg over a period of 3 weeks).  Like some others on here, I developed painful joints and muscles whilst on this med.  Am still experiencing these pains two weeks on although a little less severe.  GP says drug should be out of my system now and doesn't believe that Gaba was/is to blame.  

Anyone got any views/experiences of this?  If so, did the side effects continue long after you stopped the drug?

Thanks.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all-

I have been officially off for exactly 51 days, after taking massive doses for five years and then titrating from 3600 to 100 over 18 months. July 11 was my last dose of 100 mg.

First month was hell - everything everybody reports: suicidal feelings, intolerable anxiety, hideous nausea and rebound pain - and second month has been only a bit better. Good news is that these things are moderating now: nausea now mostly gone with occasional bouts of stomach pain, sleeping a bit better, having more periods free of that intolerable anxiety. Hang in people

• Posted

Thanks Pam.  Hope it continues to go well for you.  Keep posting.

Maureen

• Posted

Hi Pam.  Wow.   Thank you so very much for telling us of your experiences; it truely gives me additional motivation to stay the course.  Today is my 12th day off of gabapentin/methadone, and, I was only on it for a few months.  I can't imagine having been on it for 5 years.  I wish you well in your continued recovery.  Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Pam.  Thanks for sharing.  It is encouraging to hear from someone who has stopped and to know that it does get better.  Also nice to know that I'm not the only one who experienced anxiety and suicidal feelings with withdrawal!  I'll be dropping down to 100mg this weekend so not long to go now before I'm off.   I can't wait for the day when I can say i'm free of Gabapentin!

• Posted

Hello Everyone.  How are you all doing?  My joint and muscle pains are not improving and ortho is now asking rheumatology to look at my blood results.  Still convinced gaba has kicked off all of this stuff.  
    • Posted

Hi Maureen.  I've been off completely for a week now (yay!) and am starting to have less nausea.  Actually had my first nausea-free day this year.  Still have chronic headache but it is improving.  As for the aches and pains, mine are no better or worse - but fibromyalgia pain was the reason for the medication in the first place.  It appears that fibromyalgia can start as a result of trauma (physical or emotional) or illness.  I hope for your sake that the pain improves. I wonder if a physiotherapist might be able to offer a suggestion about your pain - eg does it respond to anti-inflammatory treatment? hot/cold treatment? They seem to be a bit more clued up than GP's when it comes to determining whether it is muscle, joint or connective tissue (in my experience).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.