Gabapentin making me feel worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with a benign brain tumour I'm suffering from really bad headaches I've been prescribed gabapentin 300mg 3 times daily I'm feeling worse I've had tinnitus for a while now and feel that has got worse the headaches are unbearable I'm seeing my neurosurgeon in 3weeks time to discuss possible surgery to remove the tumour I've been taking gaba for a week now will the symptoms get better and is it just taking time to get into my system ??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This medication caused pressure in my head, headaches and tinnitus. I did not have those problems until I took it. You might ask for an alternate medication right away. I could not tolerate it. You may have to slowly taper off, but they could probably give you something to relieve your pain while you are getting off gabapentin.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply my tinnitus was really bad to start with but since taking the gabapentin I feel it's gone to another level I used to be able to drown it out throughout the day but now it's that loud it's all I can hear it's really starting to effect me its torture.

• Posted

I can't comment on how long it takes for the G. To fully take effect as I was on cocodeine at the same time. I started on 1500mg daily and was reduced to zombie state. I'm now on 300mg and although I would like to go off it completely my consultant is completely against that idea. Because my side effects were so difficult my GP suggested I take my dose at night instead of by day which made a world of difference to how I felt by day and could function again basically pain free. My consultant said it was a genuious idea and now recommends all his patients struggling with Gabapentin to have their full dose at night. This may help you in the interim although it's worth checking out with your GP

• Posted

Ok that's not a bad idea I will ask my gp what he thinks of that idea and if it will work for me thank you

• Posted

If its not effective after a week you need a speedy appointment with who ever prescribed this med. If headaches or tinnitusĀ are worse then it could be due to gabapentin or simply the tumour increasing in size. Do not wait till you see the neurosurgeon in 3 weeks, speak to your Dr on the phone tommorow if possible or see them in person. Wishing you well with your surgery.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply I will ring the gp today and seek some advice and hopefully they can give me something else to try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.