Gabapentin, mental recovery idea

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's been 4 months since my last dose of gab and I found something simple that is helping with the anxiety. Getting things out of my mind and in writing helps me be less distracted no matter what I am doing at the time. Working at the computer and typing reports has been extremely difficult. Couldn't focus, my typing went to the birds. If I don't write things down, I keep obsessing about it. Even in my sleep. I bought a white board for fridge and now have a good size sticky note pad on my desk. As I check things off the list, however minor, I feel more accomplished. Total mind game but it is working on both my mood and concentration level.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, lists help me so much too. Also, coming to groups like these and writing, even if I had to keep stopping to correct things, makes me feel productive and connected to others. My concentration, vocabulary and cognitive skills are MUCH better at 300 mg than at 2700 mg. I know that after I'm totally off it, I'll have a few months before I'm totally better, but I can't wait.

Thanks for the good tip.

• Posted

what are you taking instead of the gab to both help ween off anf for your pain.

• Posted

My original problem was shingles and PHN/Post Herpetic Neuralgia i.e. nerve damage causing pain and allodynia. I'm using the same things I always did. A previously prescribed anti-inflammatory for joint problems, Tyelenol 3 times a day and OTC Aspercreme with lidocaine. In my case, my post shingles pain is decreasing greatly, so while I get much worse pain (and other things) during WD, but overall pain is better. I'm very lucky, not everyone who has PHN sees the degree of healing I do.

I've never wanted to try anything else, and as I keep reading of others who got worse as more drugs were thrown at them I'm very grateful.

If you can find it, Lisa Ling on CNN has a show called This is Life, a documentary style production. She just covered the benzo crisis and it was outstanding! I could see it On Demand thru my cable provider. Maybe it will be available elsewhere. It's disturbing, but so gratifying to see the word is getting out.

• Posted

I have taken a HUGE self esteem hit from all this and the lists and minor accomplishments is helping with that too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.