Gabapentin nerve pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking 1800mg of Gabapentin (600 3 times daily) for less than a year now to help with my nerve pain. It was working well however in the last few weeks, I have noticed that shooting pains and the pins needles sensations have started to return.  Is it possible I've built up a tolerance to gabapentin?  I wanted to check in here first before going to my Dr to see if anyone else had had the same experience.  Thanks for reading.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,I've been on gabapentin for over 15 years up to 3600mg daily.i'm on 2100mg daily now and 100mg tramadol for nerve pain in both legs,I personally think gabapentin has saved my life with the unbearable pain (tried pregablin ,amitriptyline etc) and I have never had it not done it's job 😀,maybe you might find the others to be better,I'm sure you will find one soon,one other thing I have had spinal stimulation surgery with a battery in my butt cheek,the brain receives the electronic stimulation before the pain,so the pain is pushed to the side as the brain deals with the machine, easy pain free (nearly),check it out online (medtronics ),
  • Posted

it's a possibility as I was on a low dose for mild TN and nerve pain for neck arm shoulder however I had a major TN flare and although they've increased my gabapentin 1600mg a day plus ibuprofen 400mg 3 times a day and 1000mg paracetamol 4 times a day and amyltriptaline If I need it but I don't take it as I'm not good with it it doesn't agree with me, I still get break throughs of pain but it could be the condition getting worse or the tablets not doing there job x
  • Posted

I took the Gaberpentin for six months last year to alievate the sciatica nerve pain associated with disc compression until I could get a Steriod injection into the nerve root ball. It helped with the intensity of the pain, but, did not completely mask it. I was happy with that so that as I moved around and resumed my life, I was aware when I was doing something that would agrevate the nerve. I would use it again, with minimal side effects for me.  will
  • Posted

Yes you may have  built up a Tolerance. See your doctor and see if he will give you a drug called Pylexi SR. This has worked for me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.