gabapentin paws

Posted , 4 users are following.

Weaned myself off of a 900 mg daily dose over three weeks. No problem for 3 weeks then severe side effects started. Will they go away or do I have to bo back on Gab. then wean off

over a very long period?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sadly, we don't know how long it will last. PAWS (Prolonged Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) occurs when someone drops too drastically or quickly from various drugs that have withdrawal. There are many, many factors, such as: what other drugs you've previously been on, what drugs you are currently on, your overall health, your body's response to drugs in general, your age how quickly or how drastically you decreased.

A good "rule" is that if the last dosage was less than 2 weeks ago you can reinstate (start taking the drugs again). When was your last dose? Unfortunately, you may cause even worse problems trying to go back on. The safest way (but many will still deal with withdrawal) is 10% or less over 4 weeks or more. So roughly following that would mean that it could take you many months to get off gab.

• Posted

if you remember Babs i contacted you a year or so ago when i went slowly down from 3,600 mg daily . I reduced one capsule at a time over a time period of a month or more. i had all sorts of side effects from not sleeping, anxiety, depression etc but i persevered and eventually got off all of them. it was hard but you have to push through it. I will never under any circumstances go back on it. It should be banned and made a class A drug as its addictive . There seem to be so many folk here in the UK on it and who wont/dare not come off it, its worrying. ill never forget the advice you gave me and the courage to push through to get off it. i'm lucky, as some cant through its total addiction. Therefore if you've not been on it for long, you can get free.

regards

vivienne

• Posted

Vivienne, that's so good to hear. Thank you so much for sharing your story and I appreciate your kind words. Depending on how severe your symptoms were, it may have been a little quick, but the good news is you're off it now. You have incredible courage and perseverance. I confess, I'm down to my last 300 mg, will stop in a few weeks, but I'm quite nervous too. I have to go so very slowly as I'm one of those people who are quite sensitive to it. I didn't want to ruin Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'm waiting until late December to stop. In my case, I'm expecting to have problems for many months after I'm off. But like Osuna1 I'll be able to say that I'm done.

Osuna1, don't forget, that when we say we don't know how long your PAWS may last, we may be over-reacting to the time frame and what you'll deal with. Some people have only a few bad weeks, and then very little. Personally, I try and prepare for the worst, as this is a sneaky drug and just when I think I'm done having problems with it, it throws something new at me.

• Posted

I took 300mg daily (100mg doses 3x daily), tapered 1 dose off every 3 days til si wad done (9 days total), and I oddly have annual extreme returns of withdrawal effects every Oct-Nov since taking it for just 2 months. This drug is unlike anything I've ever taken in my life, hope you overcome it soon, I might see a doctor about a very low dose as it is an anti-seizure medication.

• Posted

Going on 6 months of no Gab after 18 months of use and weaned slowly. I have good days and bad days so try to make productive use of the good days and you'll feel better about not getting much done on bad days.

I know I still feel like crap but as the saying goes, "mind over matter" helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.