GABAPENTIN - RAPID HEART BEAT & MEMORY LOSS

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anybody taken this & felt rapid heart beat & extreme nervousness??? Been to the ER twice &,they said its anxiety as a side effect but its horrible & unlike any anxiety I ever had. I also feel my mind is blank with loss of memory. I am feeling very confused not like myself at all,I feel so out of my mind its scary! I don't even know how I'm able to sit here typing this. PLEASE read my previous post on this drug, PLEASE BEWARE!!

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been having an irregular heartbeat with no apparent cause.  Could it be the Gabapentin I've been taking for about a year?  I've been taking it for back pain.  I also have brief lapses of memory in regard to trying to remember names of items at times.  My right hand has recently developed mild tremors.  I hate these feelings!   Do you  still have these side effects?

• Posted

Yes I think it could be the gabapentin,  I hope you feel better soon! If ever you decide to stop because of side effects plz do a slow taper as those side effects are magnified when stopping abruptly.  

I was on gaba for 2.5 months for neuropathy, highest dose was 3x 100mg/day.  I tapered myself down to 100mg nighttime for one week because of side effects, then stopped. Personally I won’t take gaba again.  

I’m a little over 1 month off the med and feeling pretty much like USofAnxiety did. Rapid heartbeat, restlessness, anxiety, confusion, memory issues. They’re withdrawal side effects, though less today.  Best wishes, I hope your symptoms will ease and cease. We will heal. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am supposed to be taking three 300 mg. capsules 3 times a day.  I have never taken 3 at a time.  It was always two capsules 3 times a day.  For the past few weeks I noticed an irregular heart beat which scares me.  It's not constant, but just often enough to be concerning.  I wish doctors would go straight to healing and forget about medicating.  I will be seeing my neurologist tomorrow morning to see about curing my back problems.  When he first prescribed Gabapentin, he made it sound like there are no side effects.  I will ask him about the memory lapses and tremors.  I also take Omeprazole which I just found out on here should not be taken within 2 hours of my Gabapentin.  You can be sure I will ask about that, too!  I wish I had known about this site months ago!  Thank you, again, for your reply.  I hope we all come out of this Gabapentin mess with our sanity and health in tact.

• Posted

I have experienced the same and am now off of it for over a month and still don’t feel like myself. I now have insomnia and I can’t lose any of the weight gained from being on it and I’m working out several times a week. I can’t take any supplements because I still feel interactions with the gabapentin like severe sweating due to seretonin symptoms. It’s so crazy I hope it leaves my System soon. I also am dizzy and have the nervousness as well as depression. I tried taking 5HTP with it to lift my mood because that’s a natural supplement but it hurt my stomach bad which is a side effect for that. 
  • Posted

I went to see the neurologist on Tuesday.  Of course, I was feeling just fine, no back pain or anything.  If I do have any more, he will refer me to a surgeon.  I am still taking Gabapentin because when I tried to cut back too much, I had a headache and felt like I was getting a bad cold.  I went back to the medication and so far I feel O.K.  Naturally, I didn't get to discuss the Gabapentin hardly at all with the neurologist.  I think he realized there wasn't any money to be made in my case.  So, as long as I feel O.K. I'll carry on as usual.  I hope you will start to feel better and find a good doctor who can really help you.  Best wishes!

• Posted

I noticed this was posted 2 years ago. Did you ever stop it? I am taking 180mg a day and as I am typing my heart is racing and I feel like a space cadet! When I read what you wrote it was identical to how I am feeling. Not sure what I should do! 
  • Posted

my pain management doctor prescribed gabapentin 300 mg. I’ve been taking it for about two months now. and yes I’m experiencing rapid heart rate 112 bpm every day. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to tell me I’m thinking about discontinuing the medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.