Gabapentin side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on gabapentin since sept. Last year. Been in 900mg daily. This past week I have slowly increased dose to 1200mg because of pain. Got up to 1200mg on Wednesday and to day is Saturday. The last few days my legs and knees started aching. Yesterday my back and hands ached! Today just closing my hands or screwing the lid off a jar hurts. Has anyone on our forum had this side effect from gabapentin? I have TN1 on right side of my face. I would appreciate your input.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Joanne49021,

Tegretol (Gaby,  900mg) and Trileptal (Oxcar, 150mg), I take these at bedtime if have any feeling of anything coming on in day or earlier before bedtime I take these two meds together. So far I have only been taking the above meds b4 bedtime.

Statment from FPA:

The Facial Pain Association is committed to providing current and accurate information in the effort to educate patients and medical professionals. FPA does not recommend one treatment for neuropathic facial pain over another. There can be side effects associated  with any  treatment for for facial pain and it is recommended that u discuss  the potential side effects with a skilled and knowlwdgeable doctor before selecting treatment.

Tegretol (Carbamazepine) is the primary drug used to treat TN. Many physicians believe that the relief of facial pain with Tegretol confirms the diagnosis of TN.

Anticcconvulsant medications, which slow down the nerve's conduction of pain signals, are usually the first treatment  option.These include:

Tegretol ( I take this as Oxcarbanzapine aka oxcar 150mg)

Trileptal  (I take this as Gabapentin aka Gaby  900mg)

carbatrol

dilantin

lamictal

keppra

topamax

neurontin

klonopin

lyrica

• Posted

I misspelled my meds this is the correct spellings

my tegretol is called oxcarbazepine

my trileptal is called gabapentin

• Posted

Be sure that you are taking ur med with plenty of water, i take Gaby 900mg  at the same time that I take my Oxcarbazepine 150mg, heither my legs or knees are aching. I don't know how old you are but is it time for you to take a bone density test? Be sure to tell ur Neurologist that you upped your meds and had this reaction, my doctor when I called nurse she told me when to up my meds.

You have a nurse line so use it whenever  you need it and don't be shy with the emergency room, my sister knees and legs began to hurt her and she was low on potassium and had to be admitted to the hospital. I am not a physician but please take care of yourself.

Let us pray for all who are sufferers of this dreaded TN

God bless us and keep us and give us peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.