Gabapentin sudden death

Posted , 17 users are following.

our daughter was prescribed Gabapentin earlier this year for the Peripheral Neuropathy pain. She was 5feet talk and weighed 11 stone. The side effects were horrific. Induced fits up to 25 daily. Rash. Behaviour changes. Hallucinations. Panic attacks and weight gain. She gained one stone per month. This was not diet related. She became unable to walk more than a few steps. They put her on 4800 milligrams daily. She was drugged, developed jerky movements, and was 20 stone within 9 months. All tests were normal she died suddenly in her sleep last month. Despite pleas for help she was ignored. All health professionals and six pharmacists are so shocked at the level she was prescribed we are seeking to stop anyone else from suffering the way she did this last year. We are heartbroken and don't know how we will cope with such an unnecessary loss.

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What was the cause of death? 
    • Posted

27,Female,US (No known health problems)

Wilma60 my condolences, its so upsetting to hear of your daughters passing. It is so troubling how doctors ignorantly prescribe medication especially at such a high dose. I was recently put on a filthy drug aka GABAPENTIN 300 MG once daily ,then 300 MG twice daily after one week(for "daily migraines"), I am so terrified to keep taking it as it has caused me side effects . This is around my second week of taking it & in the first week I just didn't feel like it was something I needed to be taking but doctor said I need to give it 3 months in my system. At the end of the first week experiencing the twitching,fogginess,weird feeling, as side effects I decided I did not want to continue . My doctor said just stop taking it cold turkey ...MISTAKE! STOPPING GABAPENTIN SUDDENLY HAS CAUSED A VERY BAD WITHDRAWAL!! I MEAN IT IS NASTY THE WORST PAIN IVE FELT!! Even though I was only taking 300 MG once a day for 1 week, when I quit cold turkey I felt horrible pain by the second day....

All kinds of sharp pains EVERYWHERE ...in my eyes,ears,neck,whole body. Also jerky movements through out my legs, horrible head pain , loud gurgling stomach noises & heart papilations. Feels like my body is going to start shaking uncontrollably. My body literally felt like it is jumping out my skin trying to get more of the drug. JUST LIKE DRUG ADDICTS SAY HAPPENS DURING WITHDRAWAL. I never increased the drug & I'm so glad because after only taking a low dose for one week I feel like my body is hooked! I feel like my neurologist should have advised me a taper dose to help wean my body off. I do not want to keep taking this but I'm also terrified of suddenly stopping ....

I ended up in the ER after two days of quitting cold turkey, with a bad headache. They gave me reglan,dilaudid,& benedryl which took away the headache. But by the next day my body was literally SPAZZING OUT BAD so I took a piece of a capsule & within a couple hours it seemed to help. Now I haven't been able to see or talk to my neurologist to get help with weening off of this!! I have just been taking smaller amounts but I want to be off this ..PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS BLINDLY ESPECIALLY FOR OFF LABEL USE.

WILMA60 THANK YOU FOR POSTING PLEASE KEEP THE WORD OUT AS I DO BELIEVE THIS DRUG CAN CAUSE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE !! I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

• Posted

I'm not coming into this site anymore hope you find the who's to blame for your daughters death take care

Bye

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear this horrifying experience, and want to wish you the best, but I feel as though there was a setup along the way I've been studying the effects of gaba. The amount she was ordered is unbelievable, I've been using the 600mg tablets with a 4 a day dose, 2400mg. And even this amount seems a bit high, you should probably look into the dr. Who prescribed this doeage, and maybe look into his intention with this amount, I feel foul play, gaba. Is a new drug that is currently in the experiment stage, and a lot is known about it, but like the rest of the world there is more to discover, not saying it's not useful. But more research need to be preformed, the long term effects are unknown, so if you are reading this I would like you to understand, that you know your own body best, if you are asked to take any medications be sure to check with the dr. About his intentions and why you should take the amount given, remember to speak up and save yourself, because in the long run, drugs do more damage to your body, so always question your dr. And make sure he is on your level, because believe me we're not know it alls, we need you to communicate with us to treat you properly, if you have any questions feel free to reply, I hope you all have a wonderful day, and stay free, god bless

-Danny

• Posted

Gabapentin is not really a new drug; as it's been around since 1993. However...it is being used for a lot of new reasons other than what it was originally intended for, which was seizures.

Drs are prescribing Gabapentin for a lot of uses that are unrelated and although it has its place in the medical field it can be misused by Drs prescribing it.

We all need to be diligent in our research on our own behalf and others to stay as safe as possible.

• Posted

I am so very sorry for your great loss! I cannot even fathom that you lost your daughter to such a terrible way. My heart is broken for you.

I was only on 600 mg per day and felt dopey; I convinced my family physician to drop my dose to only 300 mg daily; 100 mg 3x day.

It is so scarey as I know the side effects are horrific and there are so many!

I've been reading a lot from the beginning on the side effects. It's so important to educate ourselves and those around us.

Thank you for sharing your daughters story.

• Posted

God be with you and family especially during this time. I just wanted to let you know I always thought my best friend who had pain neuropathy as your daughter and prescribed same med only a lower dose. She was on it for years. And also psychologically addicted to it if not physically. It only took the "edge" off pain but only thing that came close. The rashes that showed up periodically were horrible. It looked like a flesh eating disease. After time at USC medical (Los Angeles) with 'experts'. No one could definitively say what it was caused from. They knew her meds and gamapentn was not the issue. I know it was. She died in her sleep a year ago too 11/19/15. I was with her the night before. She was fine. Depressed about pain but looking forward to holidays and her 2 young children. No autopsy so no answers. rolleyes

• Posted

My dear Wilma,

I don't know how to comfort you but I wondered if you could help save my grandson, we are desperate.

Last year Jerome , my grandson, who was then 11 years old was given gabapentin for neuropathic pain. The latest dose was 4500 mgs per day.

He has been coughing up blood and has liver  and stomach damage. It is now being reduced since he coughed up 2 pints of blood. No one will take any responsibility for this, test on his liver and stomach were ordered 2 weeks ago..but not carried out.

He is dying gradually each day. Phone calls , emails etc, to paediatrician do not work.

Please can you give us some advice.

With kindest regards, total empathy for your loss.

Also lots of love and God Bless You,

Bridget Lawson

• Posted

Dear Bridge;

I am finally off of the Gabapentin I was prescribed. Are you in England? I don't understand why on earth an 11 year old child would be given such a large dose! It's beyond my comprehension; I was only on 300 mg twice a day (I worked up gradually) but I couldn't function! I felt terrible; had blurred vision, dble vision after awhile, I was agitated beyond belief and my nerves were so bad. I was having so much anxiety and my weight increased rapidly!

Please keep taking your grandson to hospital until they do something for him!

If I were you; and I don't know as I'm sure you have done this--but I would not stop taking him from hospital to hospital if need be.

I wish so badly I knew how to help you. I am just so upset right now reading this. I do hope somebody who lives in your country (region) close by can help you out in here.

I'll pray for your little guy and I hope everyone on here does the same; I am in Canada.

Sincerely

Cassie

• Posted

Sorry for your loss, Wilma60.

It sounds like you have reasons for a law suit. The maximum dosage for a short duration, is recommended to no more than 3600 mg pr. day. I have used 1800 for 3 years, and have severe side effects. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.