Gabapentin tapering and the recommended perscribing way to taper off this med

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone here have any idea what the appropriate protocol is on tapering down off gabapentin? My best friend has been in gabapentin 600 mgs not sure how many, but a new doctor she has now us wanting to taper her off. What's everyone's thoughts on going from 600 mys everyday and right down to 100 mgs? As I mentioned, she's taken this medication for over 11 yrs and in this last month of her drop in dosage , she's having a rough time. She has a toddler to care for and I know from experience even the mental issues it causes. Also, if there is any ideas how I can help my friend figure out a plan. She has went from This hopeful positive strong headed person.. down to a person that's isolating and crying and doesn't know how she feels. She isn't hopeful about the future. She isn't suicidal or anything.. she's just very off and if someone has any advice what I could do to help her, I feel as if This taper plan was not the right dosage to drop to that quickly. Plz help anyone who has advice!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

OMG no .......this medicine is awful and so are withdrawals.  My sugggestion very very very slow.  100 mg every 3 to 4 weeks.   The slower the better.  And she must see how she feels before reducing again.  Please. Do it slowly.   
  • Posted

Yes, the tapering should be 10% or less every month. However, when you're down to a low dose like this, it's difficult. I hope she was taking 100 mg tablets. But it sounds like she's already done this almost cold turkey, correct? So all she can do is wait it out. The side effects may last a while, but at least she wasn't at a much higher level. Then there could even be seizures.

Look up info about tapering off of benzoids or anti-depressants. There aren't many tips for dealing with the symptoms, but at least she'll know why. This drug works directly on the brain and it's neurons, so getting off it causes a multitude or problems. Tell her that it's the drug, not here. Try and keep busy, and not focus too much on it. YES, I know that's very difficult, but at times it may help with the anxiety. If she has memory loss, have her right down things, so she doesn't forget. AGAIN, it WILL pass.

There's also something called water titration where you dissolve the drugs in water, then take less of that solution. VIdeos are on youtube.  It's good you're there for her.

• Posted

This is very good advice from babs99203 every one.  Wish I had known this when I started getting off Gaba 
  • Posted

Mir7  I was on Gaba for 7 yrs at 1200 mg a day.  I dropped 100 mg a week until I was down to  100 a day then I broke the pill in half then in quarters. And it was still hard.  

I also was a very strong woman, Own and drive my own Semi Truck was never afraid of anything.  Until withdrawal from  Gabe.  Cried uncontrollable hopelessness fear and terror.  Just have to get through the withdrawal.   I'm 5 months off of Gaba Took 2 months to get done with the hard part, now I just have short-term memory problems 

I have to go to work now, leave any other questions you my have and I will get back to you later

• Posted

Mary, I'll take a lie...please tell me that the short-term memory comes back! I was on 2700 for only about 6 weeks, then started tapering. I will say a neighbor was at 3600 for about a year (plus chemo) and still has some problems. I'm just telling those neurons to keep firing away and getting better.

• Posted

It is getting better, some days good. I took Gaba for 7 plus years. I figure it takes time to heal the damage done to the brain for the 7 yrs I took it
  • Posted

I was only on this nasty drug for two years.  I’ve been completely off for a month now and continue to be so sick.  I’m nauseous and throw up every day.  My stomach is upset.   It doesn’t take much to get on my last nerve.  I’m forgetful.  I wish I had never put one of those pills in my body.  Good luck!
    • Posted

I’m so sorry. Is this from the gab? If you go cold  turkey or even just too quickly.
    • Posted

Yes, the gab.  I’ve slowly weaned off but that final step has been awful.  
    • Posted

I'm so sorry (and also so fearful, as I'll be facing this too). But from what I've read, that last dose, due to an odd biochemical situation as to how the body uses it, is very difficult. People do say it gets better and they're so glad they're off it. You're not alone with that reaction, helluva drug, isn't it? By the time I'm fully weaned, it will be two years also. My highest dose was January 2017, 2700 mg, I'm down to 1000 now. I'm dropping 100 mg/month, but have skipped a few tapers as I needed to feel well that stretch. What were you at and how did you do your taper?

• Posted

Thank goodness I never went that high with my dosing!  I was typically around 900 mg/day.  Dropped to 600, then 300, 200, 100, off.  Didn't have any difficulty until the final off.  It's been four days since I've been so nauseous that I've been throwing up which is a "yay!" in my book.  I'm hoping the worst is past.....

• Posted

I have been this drug for a year but have heard horror stories about it. I'm weaning myself off of it but I was taking only 200 mgs three times a day and it was doing nothing at all for me. I'm also on baclofen and carbomazepine which don't really do much other than take the edge off of anxiety. I'm down to 100 mgs twice a day and yesterday only once. I got the neuropathy as a side effect from harvoni for hepatitis c three years ago and should have never been talked into taking it, I was fine before I took it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.