Gabapentin treatment and side effects (help please)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have once again been prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain (neuroapthy in hands and feet) .. I have tried it in the past once and could not get used the side effects for the first few days so just stopped it. My doctor wants me to begin with 300 mg daily and build it up over 3 days to 300 mg x 3 daily.  I worry the last time i was on it i could not sleep and felt very moody at times.  Can anyone advise me on this? Has anoyone experienced this and does this pass and after how long please.  It has helped with pain on the few days I was on it in the past and just need to know how long i should give it for it and me to settle with it. Thanks

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I can relate to the insomnia & mood swings...which got worse over time. I am STILL battling with this drug. Please go to my page & read my post. I know this drug has helped others but I have talked with TOO MANY people that it has caused horrible side effects . Its much worse than I could ever explain, I wish I would have read others side effects & about the severly horrid withdrwal people experience. The spells it causes are wicked!!

Wish you the best smile

• Posted

Hi there...so sorry to hear of your experiences with gabapentin. Hope you are feeling much better. The dreadful thing is I was prescribed them alongside antidepressants by a new doctor
  • Posted

hi geoff i have been on 300mg in evening for nerve pain,it does shift the pain and also helps me sleep i do get side effects bad anxiety and jumpy plus always cold,i did try stop once and quit cold turkey and had real bad withdrawls and nerve pain increased so i went back on 300mg...as pain is worse than side effects and iam only on a small dosage hope things work out for you
    • Posted

Darren thanks for your reply. I agree gabapentin does help with pain very quickly but unlike yourself i does not help with sleep but rather hinders it ... i develop very bad insomnia very quickly with it! I believe it can be difficult to stop this drug once you are on it! Good luck with but as you say you are on a very small dose as it is.

Geoff

• Posted

I tried come off it just after christmas Geoff and ended up in A&E couldnt stop shaking and they said it was withdrawl symptoms i just quit taking it didnt realise had come off it gradually so back at 300mg now god help people who are on mega high dosage of this drug must be a nightmare come off its unlikely i will ever go above 600mg suppose we all react differently good luck geoff
  • Posted

Hello once again everyone .. many thanks for your comments and support!  I stated yesterday with my gabapentin with one dose of 300 mg and today it will be 2 doses of 300 mg and tomorrow the dose will be 300mg 3 times per day. I have to say it was difficult to sleep last night and after this mornings dose i feel a little light headed but not sleepy. Has anyone else experienced such problems with poor sleep on gabapentin and if so how did you over come them ?  Enjoy your day.
  • Posted

After the first day of 900mg, I slept 13 hours.....woke up at mid day like a duzzy zombie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.