Gabapentin use

Posted , 4 users are following.

I agreed with my doctor to cut down on the amount of Gabapentin I was taking (2× 300mg, 3 times a day) as I didn't think it was giving me much relief. So I cut down one capsule every four days. I had got down to three capsules a day, and then last night I had awful pain seeming to affect virtually the whole of my left side. This morning I have started to increase the dose again so that the pain down my left side will be at least almost bearable. Has anyone got any suggestions? Is four days cutting down the dose too short a time, the pharmacists suggested this regime, but everyone is different.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would suggest a much slower reduction regime to give your nerves time to adjust. For example reduce by one capsule every other day and change every week: -

week 1 : current dose 6 capsules per day

week 2 : alternate 5  or 6 capsules every other day

week 3 : 5 capsules per day

week 4 : alternate 4 or 5 capsules every other day

and so on until you reach the point where your body will tell you ( as it may already have done) when it needs a coverage dose.

I am on Lyrica ( gabapentin) and I tried to reduce my dose - I went cold turkey and it was terrible so I do sympathise. These are powereful Central Nervous System drugs and take a while for  your body to tolerate them, so its equally as important to reduce the dose very slowly

• Posted

Have you had an MRI? You need to find out the cause and treat it, but not with drugs, just a bandaid, my doc tried the same at first, but poor results, epidurals helped for a while but don't last and it is a temporary fix. See a Neuro surgeon.

• Posted

I had an MRI scan which only showed age related change. I am waiting to see some one at a pain clinic. That may be several weeks away. The Gabapentin gave only mild relief, physio hasn't helped or acupuncture. However I am determined to get on with life even if I have pain.

• Posted

I’m on max dose and to be honest only take edge off... symptoms awful too. Best weaning off over a few weeks according to my doc. Then if you start again, will likely get short term benefits. Good luck with it all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.