Gabapentin vs pregabolin for gad and panic disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been on pregaboline for about 6 months but i dont feel like its working any more. I've read good things about gabapentin. Is gabapentin different? better or worse for anxiety? and would i be able to just switch? i have very severe panic disorder and ive tried most ssris without success. also take mirtazapine 30mg.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Gabapentine is the most dangerous medicine. The worst that i have seen/read about so far. Speak to your GP. If there are alternatives, I'll advise that you go on those and not Gabapentine. By the way, this is my personal opinion. Your GP is the best to advice you on the right course to go. All the best.

• Posted

HI LARA

I Have been on gabapentin for about 8 years i take them for nerve damage and arthritis,They take the edge off the pain and sometimes i get very good days with no pain at all. They do have side effects which can make you tired at first and they can make you forgetful but after a few months you get use to them. may i ask how old you are.I Think you need to speak with you doctor for advice.

god bless

• Posted

im 28. i find tht speaking to the gp about drugs when it comes to mental health is completely useless. they just seem to put me on meds and see if that works and then on to the next going through a list and nothing has worked. now its usually me researching things and suggesting them to the dr. I asked to go on pregabolin after some bad news last year which made my panic disorder worsen and it really took the edge off but now i think ive built up a tolerance and they dont seem to do anything. ive read good reviews about gabapentin but its not clear from google if theres a big difference. taken me 2 years to get a psych referral but im still not seeing them for several months and im not coping well on the meds im on.

• Posted

I was wrongly prescribed Gabapentin for an illness that was caused by High Blood Pressure. Now, i am battling to come of it. Unless you are suffering from a extreme nerve damage conditions or gene based illness like Fibromyalgia, i will not advice you to go on Gabapentin.

• Posted

HI YABATIN

Sorry to hear of your condition being perscribed gabapentin for a condition you feel didnt require them.

Has your GP appologised for perscribing you the wrong meds ???

• Posted

Thanks JohnAk. Right now, my priority is how to get off this killer med before seeking for further advice. At the time Gabapentine was prescribed for my condition which was a critical situation, there was a slow/near absolute none diagnosis of HBP which was the primary cause of that condition. Gabapentine was the easiest option; but it has damaged my gum which has turned blue-black (meaning my gum nerves are medically dead). Right now, the drug is eating into my organs and i'm worried it may damage my kidney on the long run.

• Posted

HI YABATAN

I Am sorry to hear that the gab has caused you real problems. I Have never heard or read of the problems it has caused yourself happening to any one else, do you think you may have been allergic to it????????

• Posted

HI LARRA

I Must agree with Yabatan with regards the gabapentin if you dont have nerve damage or arthritic problems try to stay away from them unless your GP says otherwise,hope this helps God Bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.