Gabapentin weaning

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I really need some encouragement.I am down to 200 mg of gabby a day not quite a week(was on 300) yesterday seemed fine had some anxiety nothing a clonazepam couldn't help.slept good.today out of the blue im crying having thoughts that this weaning isn't going to get better and honestly I'm scared.Is this just part of the weaning process? I hate it!😢😢

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tapering of gabapentin has to be done slowly. Who advised you to taper by 100 mgms?
    • Posted

My Dr. said to taper down from 300mg (which I was on for 3 weeks) then go to 200 mg which I will probably stay on for 3 to 4 weeks.Then down to 100 mg.
  • Posted

Warning !!!!

I was on 300 mg for 6 months then quit cold turkey because I didn't know any better.  I thought I was literally going to die around week 2.  I went to an urgent care at week 3 and was put on 0.5 mg of klonopin, all side effects went away.  6 months later all hell broke lose because of interdose withdrawals from the klonopin. I decided to wean off but it was still horrible .  8 months later I still have terrible effects from the klonopin, please YouTube benzo withdrawal and listen to the stories, it's frightening but true. It can last for up to 2 years in some people.  

• Posted

Your scared because of all these horror stories your reading. I’m too tapering from 300mg gabapentin nightly, there is little to no withdrawals at this dosage. I dropped to 200mg 1 and half week ago insomnia is my biggest issue, use klonopin for the anxiety, you will not have bad withdrawals from klonopin if you don’t abuse them

Or take them for a long period of time, use melatonin and Benadryl with at night to sleep with your 200mg of gabapentin. On the days you can sleep in take 12.5 mg of phenergan instead of Benadryl. Cut 100mg every week or every 2 weeks depending on how you feel, I will cut to 100mg at night starting this next Friday. Do not do not! Let these horror stories scare you, or you will fail! I have withdrawal from zyprexa, depakote, propranolol, seroquel, remeron, Valium, lamictal, and trazadone this year alone! The worst I mean worst, even worse than benzo withdrawal was from zyprexa, but that’s another story. I also have came off of Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, lexapro, Prozac, prostiqe, risperdal, celexa, and much more. Google Advil and brain damage you’ll find the web says it can cause brain damage! You can find anything on the web! Please do what your dr tells you, and not obsess over other people’s obsessions.

• Posted

This will give you your brain back without replacing gabapentin with another drug you’ll have to withdrawal later.
    • Posted

Thanks Kmj523, I am doing it nice and slow and yes the way some people talk scares me to death and puts depressing thoughts in my head.I do take a clonazepam 0.5 when I get that anxiety.I have been taking this for years and it does help.Once I hit that 100 mg do I stay on it for a few weeks and then just stop or do 100mg every other day? Its so confusing! I just can't wait til Im off of them.I feel like a whole different person and not in a good way

• Posted

Do what makes you comforterable, like I said I’m dropping from 200mg to 100mg Friday, and the only thing different is my sleep which has just now came back normal, I can actually sleep longer now, I really think it’s your anxiety mimicking how you’re feeling, I read every horror story about this drug, but most of them are from people that were on 2400mg and up. I take 2 1mg klonopin a day and like you I have for years. Just don’t read any horror stories, listen to your body, and you will make it. I promise you. I would have already went to 100mg Saturday night, but I got court Thursday for a bad speeding ticket lol so I don’t want my anxiety up or not sleeping well going on, that’s why I’m siting until Friday. StAy strong!
    • Posted

are you allowed to drive if taking these drugs?
    • Posted

The anxiety seems to be the only issue but years ago I went thru terrible depression and anxiety and that's when I was put on paxil and clonazepam.So I know I'm just thinking about that.And yes, the stories I read are people on 1800mg and up.thats alot!I really appreciate the pep talk and soon enough Ill be back to my old self.please keep me informed of how your weaning is going and good luck with that speeding ticket.😉

• Posted

I don’t drive when on these drugs. But it’s not against the law if your not abusing them and intoxicated
    • Posted

Def! And you the same, your anxiety is just playing tricks on you, just remember your in control of your thoughts 😊

• Posted

I think so and I have been holding back on taking my clonazepam but if I need it I need it,why suffer.can I ask how long did you stay on the 200mg and do you take magnesium? I read you have to give it a 3 hour desperation from taking magnesium after you take gabby.thanks
    • Posted

Sorry meant 3 hour separation😱damn spell check!

• Posted

I take 100mg in the morning, are you talking about for sleep?
    • Posted

Not necessarily I've heard that it can help with the weaning plus I have restless leg so it seems to be helping alittle.were you on 200mg gabby for acouple weeks,a month? In thinking on staying on 200 for a month then dropping to 100

• Posted

I’m coming up on 2 weeks on Friday being on 200mg I’ll drop down to 100mg on Friday, it takes a day and a half for it to leave your system, so by 2 days you will feel withdrawal symptoms, but you have klonopin, use that for anxiety and sleep 2 .5mg equals 1mg, that’s not a lot, and use melatonin and Benadryl to sleep. Just stay away from these stories on the web, because it’s only going to fuel your anxiety. Take your time, listen to your body. I’m the type of person that wants it out my body, and this drug at 300mg is seriously not hard, but if you want you could half the capsules to almost 50mg and taper that way, but it won’t be a perfect mg but pretty close. You have the tools to come off it very smoothly. After I come off this I will only be on klonopin and melatonin. I will forever be on klonopin, because of my gad borderline ptsd from brain surgery and stroke when I was 11, but you won’t I promise.
    • Posted

Wow a stroke at 11? You've been thru alot. Yeh I stopped reading the horror stories just too depressing. I was thinking about going down to 50mg after the 100. Its pretty easy to open a capsule and divide it.keep me up to date with how you do on 100 mg. And my clonapazam will be used!

• Posted

Viv, the drug has a short half life so I understand why it could be thought that it’s out of your body in X number of hours but the side effects can last days, weeks or years. These are not attempts to scare you, people share their story so that it will hopefully help others. Just because they had problems doesn'tmean you will. Same without the opinion that she had no problems so you won’t. We can not predict. Please get more info from The Withdrawal Project, benzo buddies or other support groups.  Some of what has been posted here is incorrect. Go slowly. Allow your body to heal but realize you may have some miserable days. These are all powerful drugs and mixing them can be very dangerous. I’m worried about you.

• Posted

I originally got on gabapentin for my rls along with my hydrocodone.The gabby stopped working for the rls and I only took 900mg tops sometimes 600mg. I just don't want to be on it anymore.I have been on paxil and clonazepam for over 20 years due to a chemical imbalance and deep depression.most of the time my clonazepam sits in the drawer and I used it only when I felt anxious not that often.the only effect I have is slight anxiety I guess when I taper some more I'll see what happens.I may even drop just by 50mg.All I know is I want off of this crap! Thanks for the info.Did you wean off of it too?

• Posted

It does not last for years!!!!!!! This isn’t benzo or opiate withdrawal!!!! Stop with the unhelpful comments! And quit getting your information from the web and other people! 
    • Posted

Oops sorry didn’t mean to put that towards you 
    • Posted

I know you didn't didnt help my frame of mind from ready her comment but Im thinking positive!!

• Posted

Sorry just hearing the info.someone said about withdrawels lasting a year... I just want to stay positive .this is why i dont read website too much negative but your being positive and i appreciate it sooo much!
    • Posted

I am sorry to tell people that my symptoms after discontinuing gabapentin did last for years.  This is not about negative thinking, it is not the same as opioid withdrawal (which is much easier) but gabapentin is a systemic drug that works on the central nervous system.

I worked at the #1 hospital in the country for cardio-thoracic surgery and have many years at university in anatomy/pharmacology and working in an acute medical setting.  My postings are accurate accounts of what I have been through.

We should all be allowed to accurately tell others what we have been through with this medication.  I have never tried to frighten anyone, but if people think they will discontinue gabapentin and feel better quickly, some may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Gabapentin has a very short half-life, but this is immaterial to the symptoms I experienced after 100% discontinuing this drug.  I hope others have a much better experience, but I will continue to discuss the truth.  The truth may help others who are having a difficult time make it through the rough spots.

• Posted

Would it not depend on the years in it,the dosage and the individual itself? I read where some people come off of a larger dose like it's nothing! Doesn't seem fair.but if I can go down from 200 to 150 to 100 it should be a much easier transition.I may get anxiety and im already on meds.for that from years ago but hardly ever use them until this s**t happened .I guess I will find out how it goes when I go down to 150.Thank God I hadn't been taking it that long and not at a high dose.

• Posted

No it does not. You are highly incorrect, with the fact of saying opiate withdrawal is much easier l! That’s insane! Your mimicking withdrawal symptoms from your anxiety, and not letting it go, and putting post out ther like this. Post a piece of paper from neurology test, showing withdrawals last years. Viv just ask your pharmacist or a dr. Your not going to have withdrawals for years, I’m not even withdrawaling now, I’m ready for the next cut, people just feed off each other’s anxiety and don’t let it go, 300mg if this drug is tiny dosage, it’s actuakky used to help people get off drugs like opiates, I know this because my brother was addicted to opiates! Worst sight of my life. 
    • Posted

Maybe because these people were on a much larger dose than us.I may drop 50 mg at the end of week(taking half out of a capsule) if that works out in acouple weeks I'll cut another 50mg.like I said the only thing I have is slight anxiety which will melt away in time.I cannot see a low of a dose as we are on lasting a year.Soon we'll be looking back at this and be so relieved we are off of it.

• Posted

Yeah some people just quit cold turkey and have extreme withdrawals and don’t know how to let them go, and their anxiety mimicks like there is still withdrawals, but it’s not. Just take it slow and I’ll let u know Monday about my taper to 100mg. Truthfully I just want normal natural sleep back, that’s why I’m coming off of it.
    • Posted

Dosage and length of time on it don't have as big an effect as you'd think. It's quite individual. Yes, longer and higher doses may cause more problems. But in rare cases some people have terrible problems at very low levels. No one is trying to scare anyone. We're sharing our experiences and those out friends. For some, knowing more can help. For others, ignorance is bliss. Whatever helps.

• Posted

Technically I don't know if one would call it withdrawal. But memory loss, cognitive problems and other issues can last. Gab destroys neurons. The good news is we have millions of them and they can heal, but it may take time. Gab is not a benzos not is it an opioid but there are similarities in what they all do to the brain.

• Posted

I was wondering what was going on with my memory god I would be sooo forgetful and sometimes couldnt get a sentence out.even my granddaughter noticed😕.They lower the dose now I've noticed it getting better.Im just praying for a good outcome and so far pretty good.Thanks

• Posted

Hi Kmj523, i have been on gabapentin for 57 days for  sciatica.  I started on 100 mg  3 x daily for 4 weeks then increased on the 9th Aug to 200 mg 3 x daily. My pain continued so spoke to my Gp and increased to 300 mg 3 x daily on the   23rd Aug until 4th Sept when i reduced to 200 mg 3 x daily as made me too spaced out and not helping the pain much. My GP said to reduce every 2/ 3 days but, i think this is too quick after reading horror stories on here. So my plan is stay at 200 mg 3 x daily for a week then drop my  3 pm dose to 100mg for a couple of days then reduce the morning dose to 100 mg for another few days then the night time  dose. i plan to stay here a week before trying to cut again. I so want to get off this drug  x 
    • Posted

This is awful advice. The is truth to these horror stories - why would you swap out a withdrawal for an even worse withdrawal? Definition of insanity expecting different results.
    • Posted

Kmj523,

I think people on this forum are using the word *withdrawal* for lack of a medical term to describe what happens when you discontinue gabapentin.  It is not a typical withdrawal, but physical symptoms due to physiological changes that occurred while on the medication and what happens when that medication is withdrawn.

Think of what happens when you take an anti-histamine for a period of time and discontinue the OTC medication.  You get a rebound response.  This is why your sinuses run like a faucet when you suddenly discontinue an anti-histamine.   You no longer have the drug binding to the receptor site.

Medications bind to receptor sites.  Physiological changes occur.  People complaining about weaning and completely discontinuing gabapentin are having true physical responses.  If something works on your central nervous system (brain and spinal cord),  there will be consequences when the medication is stopped for some who have taken the medication.

Our physiology is not identical.  Something that I have problems with, may cause someone else zero problems or may cause someone significant complaints.

I would caution people about suggesting patient complaints are psychological.  Discontinuing gabapentin has been awful.

• Posted

G.Allyn, you're correct in your terminology choice, and other comments you made. Technically it's "discontinuation syndrome", but I don't bother using that term for multiple reasons (and I'm usually a stickler for accuracy).

1. The pharmaceutical companies prefer DS as the term, and I won't give them the satisfaction of spreading that phrase around.

2. Most people have a rough idea of what withdrawal is, but none of DS.

3. It's just easier to write. Sorry, but between the pain and the Gab Brain, I'll take the easy way out.

The only "psychological" issues we should be discussing are LITERALLY the psyschological issues of depression, anxiety, panic attacks, fear and confusion caused by gab. Those problems occur, as you mention, because of the chemicals in our brain reacting to the condition created by the med. Correct KMJ, one doesn't go through "withdrawal" for years, but the damage to our brains and body caused by the drug CAN last years.

• Posted

There are many success stories following withdrawal. Time is agreat healer. 
    • Posted

Because your obsessing over it! Omg if the internet wasn’t here you wouldn’t even know what withdrawal is! Obsessing over each other’s symptoms feeding off each other’s negative symptoms, I’m at 100mg of this drug and it is nothing! You know why? BecUse I’m not letting you all consume my mind with your state of mind! This isn’t helping people! It is discouraging them and giving them false hope! What happens if you see someone get sick in front of you? You might get sick from seeing it, or if someone yawns in front of you, then you yawn, if a person keeps talking negativeIy you will think negatively, I can go on and on, this is what I mean by obsession! Your online talking about stuff that you don’t even know if the other persons day do is true! And feeding off it like a soap opera show! Fueling your anxiety. People who do this don’t want to get better! Why? Because they obsess over it and can’t let it go! Please please please please pull out a bible and read it. I have withdrawal from every medication there is period! I feel sorry for people looking for comfort and positivity on the internet! But you know what? You all keep discouraging, I’m going to keep encouraging, you keep giving people false hope, I will give them hope, you keep giving people demotivation, I’ll keep giving motivation, you keep giving people helplessness, I’ll keep giving them help, you keep contradicting, brain washing, hurting their minds with this crap, I will give them all this positivity all over again! Everyone, everyone will have different withdrawals some may not at all! But this crap isn’t helping, telling them all this B.S is pathetic! If anyone is looking for the real answer here it is, what you see hear and choose to believe will define your emotions. I haven’t been on here for I don’t know how long, and you all are still tagging me? Get a life, go outside, go to church, do something besides sitting on the freaking internet fueling your anxiety and pain and pushing it towards someone who is only looking for help. I’m off this site.

Ps one more thing,              There is no permanent withdrawals that’s impossible.

• Posted

The "internet" has nothing to do with the physical changes one develops from taking medications. Every medication has side effects and they vary from person to person. Maybe you've never read the patient information sheet that comes with ANY prescription drug. The list for gabapentin is very long, yet most people don't realize what's happening. They just know something is wrong.

I'm done responding to your posts. You are entitled to your views, and I, and others are entitled to ours. If people ask what problems we have, or what they can do to feel better, people, such as I will answer. I've been helped tremendously by the various groups I'm in and the people who have helped me understand how to deal with both my health concern and the meds I'm taking.

I worked as a medical secretary for over 30 years and I'm grateful for what I've learned over my career that helps me sort through this, usually a bit better than others. I will continue to try and help people and reassure them that what they're dealing with is NOT in their imagination, that they can get better, but it will take time. Support, knowledge and compassion can help immensely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.