Gabapentin withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on 900 mg of gabapentin 3 times a day for years a week ago I ran out of My meds and started to experience bad diarrhea panic attacks and insomnia is this normal has. Anyone else had a similar experience

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had the same experience when I missed two doses at 300mg 1x every night.  Woke up sweating, heart palpitations, trembling, nauseous, vomiting and diarrhea.

I am tapering off and it has been a complete nightmare.  I have lost 30 pounds while on this drug along with other my sanity.  Would  rather deal with my back pain with no medications now because of this traumatic experience.

Please do research and work with your doctor to taper off the right way as doing it on your own can be outright dangerous.  I ended up in the ER.

• Posted

It's not normal.....it is withdrawal from  Gabapentin . T hat is a very high amount to have to quit cold turkey. It can even be dangerous. I think you had better get to your Doctor and soon as possible and renew the dose.......Going off gaba. takes  quite a while and has to be done very slowly.........There are many more side effect from withdrawal than you have stated.........do an internet  search about it.......it's quite devastating to realize how powerful this drug is.

• Posted

Emily you cant just stop this med...get to see your doc as soon as you can or go to emergency to get your prescription refilled...you cant just stop this med... type in gambenpein here and you will see other peoples responses and issued with trying to just stop this drug.
  • Posted

Yes. You experienced withdrawal. The same happened to me when I missed one dose. That was my reality check and I knew I had to get off it. I did a fairly slow taper off but ended up going into a detox program, in patient, to get off. It was a horrible experience. I have been Gabapentin free since this past February. I still have some anxiety and insomnia though and hope those will go away with time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.