gabapentin withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last year i was given gabapentin 300 mg 4 times aday  and paracetamol 2 tbs for neopathic neck pain  after an MRI they found  formical spinal steniosis and compressed nerve damage

after falling down a flight of stairs.

This appeared to work but had horrible side effects

Mostly weight gain and fatigue.

Recently have had a CT guided steriod injection  so decided to stop the gabapentin to see if steriod has had any effect.

I do wish i had read up on this drug before going cold turkey as now i am super struggling with withdrawal symptoms.

Extreme pain in my arms and fingers and sometimes in my legs sweating from my eyes. Headaches

Insomiea and restlessness to name a few.

After 2 days of putting up with the withdrawal i have had to go back on it again but trying to drop to two tablets a day instead of four. Any ideas or suggestions on what may help gratefully accepted.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It seems to me that trying to restabilize you past drug regime is the thing to do, then to reduce those you are not happy with at a slower rate. Good luck, i"m  sure this will work..

• Posted

I have done many withdrawals from a lot meds including most of the common opioids and nerve main meds. The worst was a topical pain cream that was custom compounded and had 7 different meds in it, 3 of which you can only get in a hospital.

my experiance is that going cold turky verses gradually lowering the dosage is comparable to a choice of either a quick or a slow agonizing death. You have to make a choice as to which is worse and go with it. Most doctors recommend the slow method which is a path that I have not and will not choose. 

Good luck on your choice and be sure to have some kind of support to help you through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.