Gabapentin withdrawal and burning face and arms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing burning face and arms with trying to get off of GABAPENTIN. As ell I experience heat waves upon waking which seem to last forever. I am on Estrogen so I know it isn't hot flashes as it only started when I began decreasing the dosage of the Gabapentin. Arms also feel itchy and prickly. I am down to 100mg but think I might as well go off completely as I feel awful now anyway. Anyone know how long this could last? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi lynn quick question have you been checked for vitimin deficiences .? only using alzains it takes out vitimins from the body.
    • Posted

Yes John I have and I take a multi vitamin too. Thanks for the reply.

lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn I also had burning itchy arms mainly at night was so uncomfortable it lasted for a good week each time I dropped a tablet i would not stop just like that u could end up feeling even worse at 100mg I halved capsule for three weeks then stopped and I still had withdrawal I took gab for a year and was on 900mg a day I have been off gabapentin for 4 months and I'm convinced I still suffer my doctors say I can't still be as it should be out of my system by now. But others on this forum say it can take a year which is think is right it's a nasty drug which should be prescribed with more care good luck x

• Posted

tammy

thanks for the reply. I am trying to tough it out at the 100 mg. I will stay on this for 3 weeks before I try and cut back. I think your idea of halving the capsules is a good one but not sure if they are able to be opened. I have also read that the symptoms can last for months to a year. I don't doubt that you are still having issues. It seems only the patients coming off of this drug are the experts on the withdrawal symptoms. I have also tried added no magnesium as I have read that some people say it helps but I certainly haven't had any benefit.

thanks,

lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.