Gabapentin withdrawal and palpitations

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi. I was put on Gabapentin for nerve pain (though it turns out I was just having nerve pain-like withdrawals from coming off Mirtazapine). I only took Gabapentin for a week - max 200mg - then stopped as it gave me terrible side effects. I have now had two weeks of terrible withdrawals - nausea and insomnia for 5-6 days but ongoing heart palpitations (especially in the afternoon and evening) and high dayime anxiety. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? The palpitations are worse at mealtimes and I've lost a lot of weight too. Anyone had a similar experience? Does it ease? I'm gutted to have such withdrawals after just a week of taking a low dose.

3 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes I was taking Gabapentin, I was having heart palpitations and very high anxiety, dehydrated I was so scare. I'm drinking a lots of water to flushing this medicine out of my system. Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment. But I'm begin to feel better after drinking  so much water. . I see what happen tomorrow. But I'm not taking that medicine anymore. Hope this help.

• Posted

Drinking the water may help you feel better, but make sure you don't cause a problem with your electrolytes. You also can't go "cold turkey" with Gab, depending on what your dose was. Obviously, if you were at 300-600 mg/day, it's not an issue. However, the water won't help it "flush out" of your system. It doesn't work like that. I'm glad you're seeing your doctor tomorrow. There may not be much you can do except wait out the problems you have as you taper down. I'm doing 100 mg/month as I've had such a bad reaction each time I drop. However, I've learned to accept somewhat, that this is just what happens. There's nothing I can do.

• Posted

Isn’t it sad and very upsetting, we take meds to help us.  It seems like the side effects are worst than what the med is trying to control 
    • Posted

if your experiencing side effects it might be possible that the doctor doesnt want you taking it you should find out from your doctor if he still wants you taking it
    • Posted

I was on my 3rd week at 300 mg per day.  Not that high yet.  I went cold turkey , no way will I ever take this again.  Yes I’m suffering 
    • Posted

if you can sleep then your fine what are all the symptoms?
    • Posted

The worst for me is the painful continuing tingling sensation on fingers plus the numbness on the tip of my tongue which caused me to lose food taste,  and appetite.  the tingling sensation  keeps we awake most of the night plus I feel like my body is so hot, which of course I take my temp and normal.  Then the shortness of breath.  I’m even worried if I should be driving , my blood glucose is elevated which is a concern being a diabetic plus a kidney transplant recipient.  
    • Posted

ok now which of those symptoms started after you stopped gabapentin?
  • Posted

I have real bad heart palpitations and anxiety, I take it as needed but ever time I take it I start getting heart palpitations I take it for anxiety. But it only make it worse. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. I'm just trying to relax.

• Posted

Hi I was taking Gabapentin I felt space out, confused, real bad heart Palpitations, my anxiety got worse. I'm just drinking a lots of water to flush this,poison out my body. 

• Posted

Carolyn, try this, it's worked for me. This drug can cause anxiety and palpitations. If you think of "anxiety", what happens physically, you feel rushed, uncertain, scared, your heart and pulse race. Well, consider if you were just sitting there and someone gave you an injection of adrenaline, that would happen too, right? OR if it was your turn to give a big speech, right? Try and say, this chemical is just causing other chemicals to create these physical symptoms. I can't control that, but I CAN say, you dang drug, you will NOT let it make me "crazy"!! Knock it off! And do something, anything, walk, pace, read a book, throw a ball, pet your stuffed animal, dog or cat. You can get through this.  It's just chemicals...OK?  This has helped me, I hope it helps you.

• Posted

thank you babs I am 11 months of Gaba and still have heart problems What you wrote I will remember and it will help.

• Posted

I too was prescribed this Gabapentin,  for thigh nerve pain,  this has been the worst meds I have taken.  My worst side effect has been the tingling sensations on both my hands and they hurt.  I experienced ALL of the identified side effects, what to you do??? Just sit tight and wait until all the dude effects gradually go away in time???
    • Posted

if your experienceing side effects which means your on gabapentin and it causes symptoms related to side effects of being on gabapentin then you need to report those side effects to your doctor and find out from your doctor what you should do to stop the side effects
    • Posted

Sad part was that my primary doctor went on vacation and the doctor who was supposed to cover for her just told me through an office assistant to go ahead stop and if I still was concerned to just go straight to ER.  Some support huh
    • Posted

I'm so sorry. That was an inappropriate response, to say the least. Gab withdrawal seems to cause different symptoms in different people. For me, as I decrease the dosage, the symptoms that I got when I started to INCREASE (confusion, fatigue etc.) seem to increase. I believe it's because the body tries to replace the drug itself by increasing it's natural GABA that it produces. If I wrote down all the weird things I get as I decrease, a doctor may not believe it.

From what I've learned from my researching, talking to several pharmacists and my doctor, there's very little to do to deal with the symptoms of "withdrawal". I just suck it up, get weepy and try to distract myself. Knowing it's the drug and it WILL get better, that some of these problems only last a few minutes does help me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.