Gabapentin Withdrawal Horror

Posted , 180 users are following.

I want to start by giving an apology for my doubts towards patients who posted about problems with gabapentin withdrawal.  How hard could it be?  It has a short half life.  It is not an opioid.

My plan was to write about my extremely painful and unexpected withdrawal experience after I felt better, but it has been FIFTEEN months.

I was on 1800-3600 mg /day for 20 years.  My physician put me on a six day weaning schedule.  The day I took my last dose my pain skyrocketed, but the pain has changed from low back to toes pain, to pain mostly to my anterior legs below my knees.  Unfortunately, it is a very slow process.  The internal nerve shaking that accompanies the pain is beyond annoying.

I often read patients on forums stating they have no problem with gabapentin.  I did not think my problems were that terrible before I went off the drug.  They all come with cautions and potential problems.  I wish I had known of how difficult this drug was to discontinue before I had ever taken the first pill.  I wish someone had warned me.

Good luck to everyone trying to discontinue gabapentin.  I hope your experience is easier than mine.

18 likes, 1046 replies

1046 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I was on Gabapentin for 11 years at daily doses of up to 5.4g (5400mg) and by the end I realized I was no longer functional. My memory was horrible, I was constantly exhausted and always sick to my stomach.

I spent 7 months carefully tapering the dose, but on at least two occasions I had to recommence gabapentin at a higher dose because the withdrawals were a special kind of hell that made Morphine/Benzodiazipines seem tame by comparison.

Eventually I was able to stop completely and it's now been 3 months since the last time I took it. My memory continues to improve slightly everyday and I have every expectation of a full recovery, though I suspect it may take approximately one year to complete.

For all those out there struggling with similar problems who are also taking Gabapentin understand that it is likely this medication. I was told by multiple medical professionals that Gabapentin doesn't cause memory issues, but that was patently false.

In the last year I have no idea how many times I forgot to pay bills, forgot my cellphone at the grocery store, etc. That's all in the past now that this medication is out if my life forever!!!

• Edited

I dont know if this would help anyone else since everyone is different but I started taking bio-curcumin turmeric extract 3 capsules a day and it actually calmed my anxiety to where I'm not crying hysterically for hours from trying to taper off of Gabapentin . The extract also stopped my unbearable painful migraine headaches. It only took a few days for me but it says it can take up to a few weeks or a month for some people. The more it builds up in your blood the better everything gets . I'm still tapering off of gabapentin and still get some mild withdrawal symptoms like neausea but the withdrawal symptoms are mild now compared to before I took the extract when they wrre horribly severe .

• Posted

Hello,

I know you have heard it before, but I am sorry for all of this. I am completely frightened about this. I truly feel like there is no hope. I am self medicating and actually I am going to try by using klonopine, then wean off of that. I know it will not work. I am truly at a loss. I truly cannot see myself enduring this for over a year like you have. Have you tried having a drink or anything else to help with the depression or anxiety? I know, alcohol is a depressant but I feel that if I am out of my wits after a few beers each night, it may aid in some way. For me it is the anxiety that truly overwhelms me. I actually began taking it as a result of having pain in my legs and neck. My mother is prescribed these and I have been getting them from her, and they were helping but then I went on vacation and while there, horrible symptoms occurred. I had no idea that I could become dependent on these after only a month or so of taking them. My god, it truly caught me off guard. My whole life has changed as a result of these, truly overnight. I pray I can figure something out to get through these symptoms. I hope you are truly well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.