Gabapentin Withdrawal IMPORTANT

Posted , 149 users are following.

I spent 4 days in intensive care following a spinal operation. This was found to be the result of the sudden complete withdraawal of Gabapentin.

For 3 whole days I was, to quote my surgeon, 'on another planet.' The only drug, of the many I was taking for pain, the only one that could not been given in an alternative form was Gabapentin. Fortunately, on the 3rd day there happened to be a charge nurse on duty who had seen a [b]previous case similar to mine, also resulting from withdrawal of Gabapentin.

My husband insisted that some way was found of administrating the drug. (I myself was una\\ware of any of this until later). There were objections from the staff since I would need sedating and was unable to consent! My husband over-rode them - thank goodness - and said he would take full responsibility and 'just do it.'

Some time after he left they did sedate me and administer the Gabapoentin. Then, as now, I had been taking 900mg 3 times daily for nerve pain, so I had obviously fallen off a cliff in terms of amount taken.

The following morning I woke up back to normal and asked for a cup of tea. When my husband arrived I saw him wipe tears from his eyes. If not back from the dead I WAS back from a living nightmare.

WHAT CONCERNS ME MOST IS THAT THIS WAS DISMISSED BY THE MANUFACTURERS WHEN ONE OF MY CONSULTANTS MENTIONED IT. YET IT IS A TERRIBLE REACTION, ALBEIT NO DOUBT EXTREMELY RARE. IT SHOULD BE MAD E KNOWN:!:

16 likes, 474 replies

474 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on Gabapentin for 12 months now, 300mg 3xday. Also Tramadol 200mg day. I needed to keep working after I injured my lower back so went on autopilot taking them as a regular thing with controlled acute pain a lot of the time. I am also on long term anti-depressant Citalopram (10yrs). I take 600mg Magnesium day, plus Zinc & naturopathic herbs for the pain. Over the holidays I stopped taking Gabapentin to see what difference it made to the pain. After 3rd day became very depressed, went to bed, wanted to die for 5 days, just couldn't function. I was very embarrassed as it's just not like me. Took 1x Gabapentin and by that evening was able to get out of bed & eat something. I'm back to 2x day instead of 3 but want to come off them. Doctor not convinced it was the Gabapentin but I'm adamant it is. I believe it is a common enough reaction having looked on various forums such as this one. Just goes to show we have to listen to our bodies and intuition and not just go with everything the doctor tells us.
    • Posted

Yip its the gab only doctors won't tell you that. Every drug has side effects unfortunately all of us have required them for pain management. Believe in yourself and search out through google and chat rooms to find similar people with similar experiences. Cheers
    • Posted

I know you must come off it slowly otherwise very serious side effects
    • Posted

I have had nasty withdrawal symptoms coming off Gabapentin. Tramadol is also bad news. I started having seizures die to tramadol and also nasty withdrawal symptoms coming off that.
  • Posted

As with others I took Gabapentin for 7 months for the excruciating pain caused by intercostal pain and other pain from fibromyalgia. It seemed a wonder drug pain reduced significantly. However over the next few months I developed anxiety attacks, rushes of adrenalin at various times through the day, severe insomnia, depression and paranoia.  I took myself off it over a couple of weeks and now feel so much better though of course pain has returned.  I had discussed this with my (excellent) GP but she seemed not to connect it to the drug but my own research showed it to be likely.  Now just relying on usual analgesia again neurofen, paracetamol and thankfully my visits to the pain management clinic for injections - my anaethestist tells me that all of this group of drugs are likely to have side effects.  None of them are licensed specifically for fibromyalgia in the UK though of course they are safe.(ish)!
  • Posted

I took neurontin for only one week for nerve pain.  The problem turned out to be something else, and because I'm in grad school and it was making me fuzzy-headed, I didn't want to keep taking it.  Going off it was pretty horrific, even after only one week.  I had night sweats, night terrors, was completely unable to sleep, had high anxiety that I never had a problem with before, and experienced hellish rebound pain even though my physical issue had been resolved.  I know this drug helps some people, but please be warned, it is highly addictive, and weaning off takes absolutely forever.  Weeks after I stopped taking it, I was still experiencing the side effects I mentioned.  I couldn't sleep normally for about a month, and that's after only one week's usage!
    • Posted

Sounds like me - I was given it for a nerve pain problem that turned out to be something else. I took it for only one week and since stopping it two weeks ago I've had bad sleep and terrible daytime anxiety/ restlessness/palpitations (which I've never had before) and it shows no sign of easing. Did your withdrawal eventually calm down?
    • Posted

Yes, it did, and I'm fine now, but it took so much longer than I would've ever thought!
    • Posted

Thank you Asteria - that's so reassuring. It's a powerful drug for sure.
    • Posted

Mine did too.  Its been ten days now and I still feel rough.  Exhausted too from lack of sleep.
    • Posted

hello Asteria,hubby has the same probs, he is 8 months into coming off gabapentin, it's awful, apart  from having nobody to help me, or, to talk to its an awful time, he has all the symptoms, fed up, can't sleep, stomach pain etc, i wondered if anyone could just come and chat to me, or are you suffering too and want somebody to talk to, it seems a lonely path, Jan
    • Posted

Hi, Janet.  Sorry to hear you're going through this.  I'm not suffering anymore, but it was terrible while it lasted.  Just know, it will end someday, it doesn't last forever.  I honestly don't know why doctors prescribe this drug so freely, without even any warning about side effects.  At the same time, my current doctor refuses to prescribe me my migraine medication, which I took for years and never experienced any side effects or withdrawal symptoms from.  When I looked both up, the information did make it seem like the migraine med was some sort of scary, addictive thing, and neurontin was perfectly great, with no potential problems.  I don't understand, since I found them to be very much the opposite.
    • Posted

After about 3 weeks and with no signs of the symptoms getting any better, I decided to have one pill at night (300mg strength).  Immediately symptoms went away.  I didnt want to take it again, but I was at my wits end to be honest.  I have gone down from 14 pills (six different types of meds) to 3 pills a day ' 1 slow release Tramadol twice daily and this bloody Gabapentin at night.  I am coping well with this at the moment, but it wont help when I have a flare up.  I will try again to wean myself off them in a couple of weeks.
    • Posted

Hi, I have been taking 300 x 3 mg of  gabapentin for at least a year and have been taking the drug since 2011 albeit originally lower dosage.  I have gained 4 stone in weight and have noticed that even though on strict diet weight was not coming off so I did research and have spoken to people who when they stopped taking the medication their weight started to reduce.  I stopped taking this drug on Sunday I spoke to my doctor on Monday and he said try and see how you feel ! Today at work I started to feel strange hot flushes etc. This evening I almost fainted and had to put myself on the floor before I passed out! So I am guessing this means it must be a withdrawal from the medication!.  I was taking this pain killer as I have lower back disc problems resulting from a bad car crash I actually had years ago.  I have not noticed any increase in pain in my legs just the horrible restless sleepless nights and then nearly fainting and my legs going beneath me!  I am now worried as yes I lost weight this week but not sure how I should then tackle the withdrawal symptoms.  Do I go back on the drug cutting down to two tablets three times a day for a week then down further.   Any response from anyone reading this would be helpful. Lost faith in doctors!! Thanks
    • Posted

Yip I understand completely. At the beginning of my disease three years ago I was on 30 assorted medicines per day. I've had it with gab just want my brain back. Reducing 100mg per week and still get side effects. Hey good luck not nice being in pain and losing faith in doctors who have never even taken these mind and body altering drugs. **
    • Posted

Hi Janet I know this thread is a couple of months old but I wondered how your hubby is getting on. This drug is horrible to withdraw from. I have cold turkeyed from diazepam and tramadol which was horrible but to me this was much worse. At least with opiates you know it's five days of hell then you start to get better with this the mental anguish is horrible. I still have burning eyes and mouth even though the drug must be well out of my system by now. I had to go off cold turkey because the headaches it gave me were unbearable. Take care. Jo
    • Posted

Hi, sorry for the late reply.  Yeah, I'd suggest you (or anyone) going back on it, then tapering off more slowly.  You may have resolved the issue by now, since it's been awhile.  Again, sorry 'bout that.
    • Posted

I keep hearing how people got anxiety ect. from this drug. I am just the oppisite. I have to take it for nerve damage from a damaged liver. I had panic attacks and anxiety my whole life and since being on this drug I am ok now. No more attacks. 
    • Posted

Did I read it correctly???  Your dr said to just come off of Gabapentin????
    • Posted

Hi Asteria.  Just wondering what your dosage on Gabapentin was and if you stopped it cold turkey after one week.  Are all of your withdrawal issues resolved now?
    • Posted

thanks for sharing... i posted that i took it day 1 slept like a log, woke up bad chest pains, bad tummy. headache and fatigue, my doc said try and work through it it will get better...day 2 the same, day 3 the same day 4 i said what the hell if i cant take 100 mg and feel like this i dont see ramping up went to the doc he said go off it and still sick after 4 days of being off it (i was only on it for 4 days) how long did it take before you felt better... gosh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.