Gabepentin for burning feet/Neuropathy/nerve entrapment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello to the fellow nerve/undiagnosed  pain sufferers! I have chronic pain in both my feet and toes burning and tingling! Tests and things in order, I’ve had are- cortisone shots in heel, custom orthotics, X-rays,blood tests,mri scans,cortisone in tarsal tunnel, nerve conduction study!!! Nothing showing anything!!!! Every normal!!!! Been on numerous medication I’m now on gabepentin did nothing, got put on lyrica, made me feel really bad, so back on gabepentin, I feel now the pain is creeping in to the back of my upper legs!!! But this pain is made worse by prolonged standing for the burning in feet and prolonged sitting for burning in legs!!! I’m due to see a neurologist in a month for an appointment!!! I’ve been told from people on forums possible small fibre neuropathy! Tarsal tunnel or some form of nerve entrapment/neuropathy all I can find is lots of people on various forums have similar conditions and nobody seems to ever get cured! Mines definitely slowly worsening over time!! Work is getting to the stage where I’m calling in torsher is the fitting I don’t mind my job at all, just what ever I have, is making it near impossible, would any one like to chat or possibly shed some like on what I possibly have! Or people who have similar issues and what helps them!!!! :-) 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I have a lot of nerve pain in my neck and shoulder I was diagnosed with chronic pain almost 4 years ago now and I'm still going through test been through a few MRIs now tried many different medications Gabapentin I was on 800 mg three times a day they put me on 200 starting out or it was 100 starting out and I slowly just work my way up to 800 mg three times a day because once my body got used to the milligrams the pain started coming back. I then was put on Lyrica and that made me have a nervous breakdown my anxiety was so bad with it I stopped taking that and got right back on gabapentin then I found out I was pregnant so I stopped taking all my medicines. I haven't taken any medicine for my nerve pain because I feel like it doesn't even work. I learned that I have to pace myself with things and can't go full force anymore I'm 32 years old and used to work like a Workhorse I can't do that anymore my advice to you would be pace yourself try to use ice for 20 mins. And then soak in a hot bath or get a hot shower use dr. Teal's Epsom salt if you can soak in a bath that will calm your mind to I know it's frustrating. I hope you get your problems figured out!

Richelle

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Richelle, yes I’ve only recently been put on gabepentin just to try keep me in work!!! And yes living with chronic pain definitely brings on anxiety and depression, we sufferers have lots to deal with and nothing to show for it, it’s very hard for other people to understand what we go through with suffering nerve pain!!! Where as in someone has a little graze on there knee or a plaster on there finger they get more sympathy lol yes I’m 29 and been dealing with this for over 6 years now!!! Medication free but I recently gave in, but I’ve found out it’s not working, I’ve only done quite a low dosage on 3 times 300mg - 900mg spread through the day but I haven’t felt a slight change!!! Only feeling dizzy that’s about it!!!! 
  • Posted

Hi Burnfeet, I'm empathetic for you and what you are dealing with. I hope you get a positive diagnosis soon. ( my neuropathy pain) is due to sciatica and neuropathy affecting the peripheral nerves.  My Neuropathic pain is originating from my degenerative spine condition. I've had three spinal fusions with laminectomies so for the burning and pins/needle pain my neurologist put me on gabapentin too, it did work for my neuropathy pain ”but” the side effects from that drug were not worth living with.  In my opinion, gabapentin should not be on the market. I went from starting on 300 mg a day to 3600 mg XR a day on a trial basis.

I couldn't walk, I began falling more from the severe dizziness it caused, my vision started getting very blurry worsening every single day,  I've been off gabapentin for about a week and a half and still suffer from blurred vision. I was seeing spots flashing around me and wanted to sleep all day even several days since stopping.  As you see on this forum there are many many horrible stories being told referencing gabapentin.  I also suffer from essential tremors since having epidural injections into C2-C3 of my neck and we hoped gabapentin would help with that as well but they were increased. Again good luck with the neurologist if anything you can always seek a second opinion.  Neuropathy pain is real it is debilitating as time goes by, from what I understand there is no cure. 

• Posted

Hi there, I can so identify with what you shared. I had my last Gabapentin pill last Wed but when on it and now too I have burning feet. Even the calf's of my legs are burning today. Doc says will take a while for Gabapentin to get out of my system. I was only on 200 to 300 mg at night for 14 mnths , pre and post surgery. Some people have shared on this web site not to have surgery while on it because you could get an infection. A couple of weeks after surgery my scar got infected. Little did I know.

I wanted to wish you luck. This stuff is a trip.

Marie

• Posted

I was on Gabapentin when it first came out (Neurontin). I was on it for 15 yrs. I went off of it and had BAD pain. I am now back on it, in tablet form, not the capsule. It has helped a lot. I feel spacey, etc. but it does make a difference in my life for the better. It has helped with pain associated with nerves/neuropathy.
  • Posted

Is part of what you have, possibly Plantar Fasciitis?
  • Posted

Is part of what you have, possibly Plantar Fasciitis?
    • Posted

Hey there Kar kar 

I’ve had about four ultra sound scans looking at my plantar fascia and no inflammation and all is normal width and more burning in the toes along with other places!!! I’ve had possible tarsal tunnel diagnosis or possible Baxter’s nerve or small fibre neuropathy, no one really seems to no hopefully neurologist will be able to shed more light on the matter, I really hope!!!! But weight bearing does definitely make matters worse!!! So.......... 

• Posted

Also to add to that wearing shoes and socks also start my feet off, even without standing the burning can start, I’m at my best in flip flops or barefoot, but for me at work that’s a big no no as I’m an engineer in a factory, but the pain has very slowly developed over years and years, Monday is hard but by the time it’s friday I’m ready to chuck in the towel, I get relief when I rest at the weekend, then Monday I start the torcher again! All ways waiting for some light at the end of the tunnel!!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.