gaberbentin - question on effectiveness and withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

has anyone here used gaberbentin, found it effective for what they needed and was able to come off easily without withdrawal symptoms?

thank you

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I found some very useful information online tonight. This might be the answer we have been searching for. See below:

The key for safely withdrawing from gabapentin is to not completely stop taking the drug, but to slowly wean off it (a taper).

According to Pfizer, a drug company that makes gabapentin, the tapering schedule for the drugs will depend on the dose.

For 600mg/day:

Reduce to 450mg/day for 2 days, 300mg for 2 days, 150mg for 2 days, and stop on the 7th day

For 450mg/day:

Reduce to 300mg/day for 3 days, 150mg for 3 days, and stop on the 7th day

For 300mg/day: reduce to 150mg/day for 6 days, and stop on the 7th day

For 150mgo/day: can stop immediately

Other factors to consider in a taper include individual characteristics (e.g., medical and mental health status, likelihood of adhering to tapered instructions, etc.), the condition being treated (and any subsequent need for alternate management), and the dose.

There may also be other factors that affect the taper, which is why you should always work with a doctor to determine the right schedule for you. For instance, some people may not respond well to the typical timeline and may need to adjust the dose.

If you have been prescribed gabapentin and would like to stop using it, talk to your doctor about a taper. If you are abusing gabapentin and want to quit, consider medical detox and substance rehabilitation—especially if you are abusing other drugs and/or alcohol. These programs can help you taper off gabapentin and teach you skills to change your lifestyle and prevent a relapse.

• Posted

Yabatan, Pfizer makes the drug, so I wouldn't trust them at all! That is WAY too fast for the majority of people. Yes, you need to taper slowly, but support groups suggest that it should be 10% or less over 4 weeks or more. This is why people end up with PAWS Prolonged Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. That is what people have when they post their horror stories of what gab has done to them. I've been tapering for over two years and thank God, I did enough research to realize even dropping 100 mg every two weeks was too fast for me. I tracked my problems and my schedule and found that the shorter the period between tapers, the more serious the side effects.

When you cut the dosage by 10% or less, wait until the WD symptoms subside before the next taper. I found that my symptoms may not show up for 4 weeks or even 6 weeks! So if you're dropping every few days, you don't realize this until you have a terrible onslaught of symptoms. Beside, in most countries gab is only available in 100 and 300 mg doses. In order to drop by 50 mg doses you'd have to titrate, or dissolve the capsules in liquid. It's a little complicated, but a practice some do.

Also, only a very small percentage of doctors know anything about the side effects or how to taper. They feel it's a harmless drug without side effects that you can just stop. That's why there are so many groups like this.

• Posted

The docs know next to nothing about tapering. I would be dead if I followed Pfizers instructions for tapering or even my own doctor. this is a drug that never should have been on the market. Its first Do No Harm, but I guess not for drug companies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.