GAD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. So basically I suffer from GAD and bad panic attacks... Been recently prescribed pregabalin in addition to other meds for panic attacks and anxiety. Im on 150 mgs BD and it is definitely helping me after a month on it but I'm just wondering is anyone else on here prescribed this and have you developed a tolerance to it after so long? Many Thanks in advance. 😀

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been on pregabalin for approximately 10 years, and have been weening off of it for almost three years. Part of the reason for the long ween is I stopped lowering my dose as my doc has me weening off diazepam first. I wish I had good news for you but weening off pregabalin is a horror story - especially for those who have anxiety issues. The changes to your brain can happen very quickly - in a little as two weeks and you'll grow dependent on it to simply function. THis doesn't happen to everyone but it seems to be common enough to be a major concern. I'd recommend looking up Lyrica Survivors on facebook. Its a closed group where you can get the full low down on this nasty medication along with resources if you choose to get off it. Sorry for the bad news but if you ask me, get off that s**t as fast as you can manage. 

• Posted

Hi sneakypete. Many Thanks for your reply and advice. I will look that up on Facebook. Been on a few meds and I thought pregabalin be better than amitriptyline ( along with Sertraline and mirtazapine). Did you build any tolerance over time or did it lose its affect? Are you feeling ok with diazepam reduction? Think that's good idea reducing Diaz first..

• Posted

Getting off diazepam has also been hell. I seem to have a high sensitivity to any drug affecting GABA. Just my bad luck I guess. And to be honest I've read way worse stories than my own. At least I'm functioning around 70% - some can't even leave their house.  

It took me years to build tolerance. I was on about 150 mgs for about 7 years before things went south. I started waking with extreme anxiety, dry heaving and anger issues. Used my dose to 225, felt better, and within a few months began feeling crappy again. I then started researching this crap and decided I had to get off of it come hell or high water. GAD sucks / I know because I suffer from a mild case of it. I can't imagine a full blown case . And worse is that every med that you try all have hellish downsides. Good luck to you. And whatever happens keep telling yourself it's the drug - not you.

• Posted

I need to correct one comment. Fact is my tolerance/dependence grew very fast - likely within weeks of first dose. It was the interdose withdrawal that hit me around year 7.
    • Posted

Thanks you. I am on 150mgs BD but I defo won't go any higher as like you say, with side effects come problems, then when try and cone off them it's absolute torture....and good luck to you with Diaz reduction also... Imagine that's really difficult as well. If I become tolerant in nect few weeks I won't be increasing, will just review if I continue them I think..

• Posted

I am on the same dose, for almost 2 months, and so far it is working (with some side effects) and have not developed a tolerance so far..
    • Posted

Thanks Donita thsts good it is working with 2 months and no tolerance. I have been on 150 mgs BD for 6.5 weeks and no tolerance. Fingers crossed it continues. As I won't go any higher. As side effects brain fog, disorientation, memory and ability to carry out daily tasks are already impaired, but thankfully anxiety definately reduced. Are you experience simular side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.