GAD generalised anxiety disorder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i believe i have sufferedfrom this all my life and tried anti depresants and counselling but to no joy. Has anyone else endured this and have you have tips for coping with it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you have had this all your life.. I truly don't think it ever just goes away. You just have to follow the doctors orders and try to keep it under control. I am 66 yrs old, was born with anxiety and still suffer with it but not as often. Hang in there sweetie!!
  • Posted

Hi, I have had anxiety off and on throughout most of my life. I was a very helpful little girl always trying to please and make friends, and that has continued throughout my adult life. I have also had depression off and on. It's all linked together for me. At this time my anxiety is very difficult to manage, all my usual tricks distraction, breathing exercises, music,are not working at the moment. I just tried type in my gp gives me propanolol, which my predictive text changed to my GPS gives me hullabaloo. Honestly,fantastic. Anyhow they help with the horrible feelings so speak to your gp, cbt is good but there is often a waiting list. But sometimes it can take over. A good friend or a partner someone to talks can help. A sense of humour helps too, I am not making light of anxiety but it can all help. I wish you well and you are not alone, you are probably one of life's thoughtful people. Keep searching or get your GPS to give you hullabaloo, (according to predictive text) warm regards nancy
  • Posted

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with GAD too but I'm certain I've had it my whole life too. 

I went to GP for anti sickness pills because I was throwing up for apparently no reason. I've also been to GP for sleeping pills because I've always struggled to fall asleep and stay asleep. (My parents even took me to a sleep clinic as a baby, so they tell me). I've also been back and forth to the gp for low mood over the years. I've had an ambulance called because I couldn't breathe. I've had breathing tests for asthma because I've been on and off with shortness of breath - all my life. I've had panic attacks in the middle of the night, on planes and in car parks before social activities. It just so happened that I got a new gp who put all the pieces together the last couple of months. I went to her complaining about shortness of breath again and she said it was anxiety. I actually didn't believe her because to me, I didn't feel any different to how I've always felt. I've always felt on edge and tense and stress and just considered myself " a worrier". I've noticed that a lot of people on here talk about the symptoms but because Ive always had the symptoms, I know no different. To me, I'm struggling with accepting that the way I think is different from everyone else. I'm just starting to accept that being anxious continuously is not normal and it can be changed. 

I found CBT very helpful. Put yourself on the waiting list. It teaches you to challenge your negative thinking patterns. It's very difficult to do. I'm still learning but well worth it. 

I haven't gone on any pills because I don't believe that they will fix the route cause of the problem for me - I'm working on the route with CBT because I personally am used to the symptoms but it may be different for others.

one of the tips I learnt in CBT was to ask yourself if the role was reversed and a friend was worrying about what you were worried about then what would you tell them? For example, if you're worried about going on a plane, ask yourself why? For me, I'm worried that the plane will crash and I will die. The chances are if a friend said they were worried about that, then I'm not going to say, "yep you're definitely going to die if you get on that plane!" So why tell ourselves it if you wouldn't say it to a good friend? It helps me, anyway. Hope it helps you

• Posted

Thanks Victoria, very informative. How many sessions have you had?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.