Gadolinium can cause death????

Posted , 2 users are following.

In 45 mins ill be having my mri woth gadolinium. My mum asked me a few questions about this so i read about it on Dr Google and it says it can kill you and give you life threatening illnesses such as NSF?? Any opinions on this would seriously help because im freaking out now!

Do i say no, or going along with it??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily I googled Gadolinium too and basically they are going to inject is so that they can see what is happening in your MRI Scan.  I don't think the level they will be using will kill you. The hospital is limited/restricted to th amount they use. So please try not to panic. Sometimes Dr Google can unnecessarily scare the S...t out of you!
  • Posted

Emily, the level of chelated gadolinium that is injected into patients for MRI purposed is no negligably weak that it is considered safe for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 

Despite its magnetic properties it would not be used at all if there was any risk of toxicity to your system. So please stop worrying.

• Posted

Okay ive had it done now, literally just came out. I do feel abit sick but the doctor said that was normal
    • Posted

The MRI has now been done Emily. The sick feeling will subside shortly and you should return to normal in a few hours.

Just try to relax.

• Posted

Google doesnt help you Emily. In fact its terrible. if google was a doctor teh GMC would strike it off. Thats why we have proper doctor who know what they are doing. I am sure you will have been fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.