Gained 15 pounds and one year on the estradiol patch. Is there something else I can use instead?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy, both ovaries and my uterus were removed. I have been using organic excellence progesterone cream along with the estradiol patch. I have gained 15 pounds in one year, which is not normal for me. I am 40 years old and I have not gained weight since I was in college! My doctor says it is because I am over 40 but I don’t buy it. I think it’s the estrodiol patch. Has anyone had this happen and is there an alternative to the patch that someone has had success with? Wanting to lose this weight but still get my estrogen I need.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I also had a total hysterectomy last year and have gained 1.7 stone.

I am on Dual HRT.

its horrible., the weight gain. I exercise 2-3 times a week but nothing is helping.

good luck on your quest. xxx

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy and oopherectomy 31 years ago. Having had a hysterectomy, I don't have to use progesterone. At some point my gp insisted I use progesterone for 'balance'. It unbalanced me terribly and upon reading up about taking progesterone and all the problems that other women have had taking it, I refused to take it anymore. It has taken a while to get back into balance, in fact, I don't think I have it as good as I had before.

I still use transdermal oestradiol in the form of pellets or patches and oestradiol gel when the patches which are not enough for me, run out. I will never give up oestradiol as I have very negative reponses to reduced or inefficient intake. (I have had a few experiences there. One lasted 6 years before I was found to have a pituitary gland tumour. I tell you, it is not pretty.)

Perhaps you are not getting enough oestrogen which is known to help keep us slim. My body needs lots. Our metabolism changes as well, and an investigation into what you are eating may need to be done to deal with those metabolism changes.

I have eliminated sugars and starchy carbs. Sometimes I cheat when someone puts a freshly baked goodie in front of me - I can't be rude can I? Also when my husband has some cheesecake, I have a teaspoon or two (just to taste it!). Then I am satisfied.

• Posted

Oestrogen? Hmmmm... i will definitely gave to look into that! Thank you so much!!!!

• Posted

In the same boat, ever since on HRT (doesnt matter which one) I gained weight. Unfortunatley I have got no solution to that, its a bit like with the contraceptive pill really which can cause weight gain too. For me its a trade off- more weight and not being a total lunatic with tons of issues or being skinny again but having a lots of menopause problems...(49/50 kg vs 57/58 kg now)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.