gained weight and think I have diabetes - scared

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, hope everyone is safe and well 😃

Sorry for the extra long post and TMI

I'm a 22 year old female, 5ft 8.4inches and currently 263lbs with a waist size of 43 inches.

After 6 years I have only just managed to get my binge eating disorder under control and am really trying to take care of my health now but I fear it may be far too late for me 😦 I am so worried that I have developed diabetes due to my unhealthy eating habits and inactive lifestyle for the last 2 years

I started rapidly gaining weight in around August 2018, before this I fluctuated between 190lbs-230lbs. 200lbs seems to be healthy for me due to my height and my race (my mum is black Jamaican and my dad is white Turkish) and i feel and look healthy at that weight. In January 2019 I got diagnosed with PCOS which I am sure is down to my weight gain. In February this year I reached my highest weight ever of 284.2lbs as I was binging pretty much every single day but I have now lost 20lbs / 1-2lbs per week since then and will continue to lose more.

My mum is obese with type 2 diabetes which she developed when she was pregnant and my dad is overweight so I feel like I'm at such a high risk especially having PCOS as well which can cause insulin resistance. I've also had a sedentary desk job since 2017 which hasn't helped but since working from home i've been working out 3-5 times a week.

How long does it take for diabetes to develop, is 21 months of unhealthy habits a relatively short time? Can type 2 diabetes be reversed by losing weight?

I don't know if this is a symptom but since maybe November I have noticed sometimes my bladder doesn't feel fully empty straight after going to the toilet and I also went through a few months period where I felt like I was hungry all the time and never full but I don't feel that at all now and i always feel satisfied eating 1500 - 1800 calories a day. I haven't binged, had takeaway food or alcohol in 3 months and haven't had a cigarette in over 2 years.

I don't know if this is relevant / any of these could be indicators of diabetes but I have had my iron, cholesterol, liver function and CRP tested last week and they are all normal / optimal but I do have an under-active thyroid. My blood pressure ranges from 120 - 135

I've spoken to 2 GP's and they've both told me not to worry because I'm young and to just focus on losing weight, they seem to think the diabetes test can wait until after the virus has settled but my anxiety is through the roof!

please be kind - I'm just looking for reassurance if there is any, I know i shouldn't have let myself get to this weight and I know I need to lose weight

thank you 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Certainly being young helps, but diabetes can jump on you anytime, and the tests are quick and simple, they should do so in your case.

Of course losing weight is excellent advice in general and for avoiding diabetes - yet some obese people never do get diabetes, go figure.

I wish my blood pressure was so low!

Good luck, and keep your eye on things!

• Posted

you may or may not have diabetes but you definitely have to lose weight. i have been type 2 diabetes for the last 20 years...its not scary if you learn to control your weight and food cravings. you have to cut out all carbs because carbs turn into sugar as soon as they enter your mouth (carbs turn into sugar on contact with saliva).

that means no pasta, no bread, no cake, no candy, no rice....yeah i know, all the stuff you and i love. its called a keto diet. after 3 days your carb cravings will dissapear. stick to it and your weight will fall off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.