Gaining weight after thyroid removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my thyroid removed a year ago last October weighed 110 since last July I have gained almost 20 lbs. I am very concerned because I haven't changed any of my eating habits. Anyone have this problem and answers?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if I understand correctly:  You had your thyroid removed in October 2013 and weighed 110 at the time?  In the last 6 months you gained 20 lbs?

Did you gain more weight before last July?  Or, how much did you gain between your surgery and last July?  or what do you weigh now?

• Posted

Yes I weighed 110 at the time of surgery I had hypothyroid for 10 years and gained weight I weighed 196 then started to loose weight for no reason found out I have Hoshimoto toxosis. Which is high and low thyroid. 2 years later got it removed and my weight got down to 110 at time of surgery. In october of 2013 and I started to gained weight July of 2014 and now weigh about 130. I didn't gain any weight after surgery til July of 2014. And I weigh 130 now and not liking it and my last blood test my levels were normal.
    • Posted

I am 5' 6" and I was extremely skinny at 132 pounds, which is where I was at for most of my young adult life.  

I started to gain permanant weight during my 3rd pregnancy in 1986-7 at age 38.  From then until 2008, I didn't lose more than 5 lbs before I would gain weight again, gaining 10 lbs for every 5 I had lost.  I got up to around 200 lbs by 2008  (age 60) when I tried a certain healthy diet where there was more emphasis on what to eat as opposed to what NOT to eat.  Nor was there any restrictions as to calories.  

I lost about 12 lbs in 10 weeks before I had to have a colonoscopy and I was not able to eat as much as before.  

I stayed the same weight or regained a little until I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease early in 2009.  I was given Methimazole and gained up to about 212 lbs.  I went into remission and was able to go off the anti thyroid drug in December 2012.  There have been other factors, but I now weigh 195 lbs and want to get to 145 lbs eventually.

The bottom line is that I have a hard time understanding why you are concerned about your weight at 130.

• Posted

I don't know why you would have a hard time understanding that. I hated being almost 200 lbs and finally was at a weight where I felt good and out of the blue gained that weight. And I am only 5 ft 3 and caring most my weight on my lower half. Just wondering if anyone else had that problem is all.
    • Posted

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I couldn't understand why someone would be concerned if they weigh 200 lbs, just why 130 lbs was such a big deal.  I guess for your height that puts you a little overweight, though.

I would think that 110 lbs would be too underweight for most adults.  I hope you find someone who is more sympathetic, however.

I never wanted to make you feel bad, either.

• Posted

I didn't want to be 110 just saying I gained weight for no apparent reason and I was more comfortable at lower weight 120 would be great actually. But anyways no worries good luck with everything
    • Posted

Yes, 120 would probably be ideal.  Good luck to you, too.  Usually fast weight gain is due to fluid retention--more than 2 lbs in 24 hours or 5 lbs in a week.   You might bring that up with your doctor.  Best wishes to you.
  • Posted

In 2011 I was diagnosed with hyper thyroid I was 250 lost extreme weight down to 180 in November 2014 my thyroid was fully removed cause I had tumors and medicine radiation wasn't doing its job. After surgery I now gain so much wright, water weight the I get so swollen I look worst than a pregnant girl, every week I'm gaining 5+ lbs I'm at 266 and I've tried everything to loose wieght, my doctor changes and changes my medicine cause my thyroid can't seem to get in control, I take the highest dose of .300 can't go higher than that I'm so fustrated so I know what you feeling

• Posted

It is very serious to gain a lot of water weight. Does your doctor have you on Lasix or any other diuretic? My husband has heart failure and was told to report it if he gained more than 2 lbs in 24 hours or more than 3 lbs in 48 hours--or something like that.

Regarding the thyroid, I suppose since they have totally removed your thyroid, the doctors test your TSH. Do they also test your Free T4 and Free T3?

I don't know if anything I do might apply to you, but I take Methyl B12 and Methylfolacin which seems to help convert the T4 to T3 which is what your body really needs to function.

I still have my own thyroid and am completely in remission and have been for the past 3 years. My TSH has never been high enough to warrant thyroid supplementation even though I had the antibodies both for Graves' disease and for Hashimoto's a few years ago.

Diet can also be an issue. Be careful not to overdo it. In order to eat healthfully, you have to eat. Skimping will not help you lose water weight and might contribute to gaining it. It might also cause the body to convert the T4 into Reverse T3 which would undo all of the good that your supplements are supposed to help.

Don't be afraid of including Fats, Meat, and complex carbs like starchy veggies and grains into your diet which should already include veggies that aren't so starchy, and fruits and dairy. I don't believe that sugar substitutes are as good for our health as sugar itself and that full fat dairy is better than lowfat or skim.

I hope you can get this all under control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.